Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone music to apple Tv

Before I signed up to apple music I could play music from my phone to my apple tv and use the side volume control buttons on my phone to raise/lower the volume.

But now it will play music from the apple tv and not my phone and not let me control the volume.

All i had to do before was open up the music app on my phone, select the little airplay icon at the bottom and select my apple tv.

Now when I do this it will only play the music from the apple tv and not stream from my phone.

I have the apple tv output set to my music amp/speakers so the current way of doing things is not ideal as it outputs the music full volume.

is there a setting somewhere to stop this happening. I don't want to play music from the apple tv device - i want to play it from my phone like before.

Posted on May 9, 2020 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 2:41 PM

unsubscribed to Apple Music, turned off iCloud music and back to my preferred way of doing things - Using the phone volume buttons.

Seems a bit archaic to me. Not everyone wants to use their tv to play music but use their sound bars and audio amps and keep their tv volume muted. What’s the point of audio out connectors if you can’t control the volume of them???

we need the option to share music from our phones or use the Apple TV. Let us decide.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 2:41 PM in response to robertfromnewhaven

unsubscribed to Apple Music, turned off iCloud music and back to my preferred way of doing things - Using the phone volume buttons.

Seems a bit archaic to me. Not everyone wants to use their tv to play music but use their sound bars and audio amps and keep their tv volume muted. What’s the point of audio out connectors if you can’t control the volume of them???

we need the option to share music from our phones or use the Apple TV. Let us decide.

May 9, 2020 1:43 PM in response to QuickPost

Please read again, this is not what it has been doing for the last 4 years. I have the tv switched off so that I can listen to music through my amp. There is no way I can adjust it as it currently is with the phone like I used to before.

i’ve been using the iPhone as a music remote for years now. This is an unexpected behaviour.

I did somehow earlier get it to work again when it came up with an option to switch the source when I had my iPods connected. But I cannot find this again. My only other option at this time is to cancel the music subscription as I do not like it the way it currently is.

screen mirroring is another option, but that’s laggy and not good for streaming music from my phone.

Iphone music to apple Tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.