Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 5,1 Boots to Black Screen After Bootcamp

I cant seem to find any post where someone had this issue but hopefully someone is familiar with the problem and knows the solution. So I recently got a Mac Pro 5,1 and everything had been working fine up to this point.

I wanted to install Windows so I set up a partition of 200gb for Windows 8 on a scratch disk. The partition was successful and the computer restarted. But then the computer just booted to this PC style terminal screen with a blinking underscore at the top left of the screen. There wasn't a cursor and any key command was not functional.

I was running High Sierra if thats of any help.

Things I've tried:

-Holding Alt on Startup to Select Boot Drive (Mac turns on but I dont even get that terminal screen its just black)

-Resetting SMC: (Result: PC Terminal Screen)

-Resetting the NVRAM: (Result: Black Screen)

-Recovery Mode (Result: PC Terminal Screen)

-Booting the Mac without the partitioned drive

-Switching the hdmi to a different port on my GPU

-Using an Apple keyboard for the startup commands (because I normally use a PC keyboard)

By the way, Windows was never able to install, its just stuck on this black terminal screen before it ever had a chance to run the set up. I dont know too much about computers but I'm assuming the computer is just booting into this lack of an OS limbo even though the boot drive shouldve been unaffected by the partition considering I partitioned the scratch disk.

Posted on May 9, 2020 11:21 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 9, 2020 1:55 PM in response to nazeem290

A Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications requires a physical DVD to install W7/W8.1.

• The installed GPU is a factor.
  • The Disk configurations that are supported are
    • Single Disk partitioned for macOS and Windows, or,
    • Dual-Disk, with one disk each dedicated to macOS and Windows,
    • No other internal/external storage should be connected to MP during the installation of Windows. Storage can be added once the installation is complete

May 9, 2020 9:17 PM in response to nazeem290

nazeem290 wrote:

okay so it booted osx.

Excellent!

Can i install the other GPU again and have it work?

If you need Windows, install Windows with the original GPU. Once it is functional, add the RX580, and install the appropriate windows drivers. Test that removing the ATI GPU still allows both sides to function. Do not remove the ATI drivers from the Windows side.

My recommendation is to use the original card, if you run into any issues at any time in the future.

May 9, 2020 7:48 PM in response to nazeem290

nazeem290 wrote:

sapphire pulse rx580

Do you still have the original ATI cards listed? If yes, temporarily remove the RX580, add the original card back, reset SMC and NVRAM and test the Alt/Option method.

Graphics and displays

• Double-wide, 16-lane PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot with one of the following graphics cards installed:
    • ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, PCI Express 2.0, two Mini DisplayPort outputs, and one dual-link DVI port
    • ATI Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, PCI Express 2.0, two Mini DisplayPort outputs, and one dual-link DVI port
  • Option to install two ATI Radeon HD 5770 cards
  • Support for up to six displays2
  • Support for digital resolutions up to 2560 by 1600 pixels
  • Support for analog resolutions up to 2048 by 1536 pixels
  • Video adapters available for:
    • Additional DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)
    • Additional dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (optional)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter or DVI to VGA Display Adapter (optional)

Mac Pro 5,1 Boots to Black Screen After Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.