Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Apple TV without a cable service

I bought Apple TV to get away from using a cable service. It seems I still need the cable provider to access most of the shows I like. What’s the point of Apple TV then?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on May 10, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 12:54 PM

You were only able to access those shows because you were a cable subscriber. Without the cable subscription you must pay for any shows/networks you wish to watch. There are a number of subscription services that provide multiple channel access on your Apple TV, like Sling, YouTube TV and others for example. Movie channels like HBO have two apps, one for cable subscribers and one for cord cutters (you). The HBO GO app lets you watch any HBO movie your cable provider supplies. The HBO NOW app is a subscription service for watching HBO content on streaming platforms like Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, etc. Just because you stopped your cable subscription does not mean you get that content for free now. You still have to pay for it. The advantage is you get to choose which content you are willing to pay for and don’t have to take the entire bundle of shows a cable provider packages for one price.

Bottom line? Nothing is free except an antenna on your roof.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 12:54 PM in response to Wildstarrynite

You were only able to access those shows because you were a cable subscriber. Without the cable subscription you must pay for any shows/networks you wish to watch. There are a number of subscription services that provide multiple channel access on your Apple TV, like Sling, YouTube TV and others for example. Movie channels like HBO have two apps, one for cable subscribers and one for cord cutters (you). The HBO GO app lets you watch any HBO movie your cable provider supplies. The HBO NOW app is a subscription service for watching HBO content on streaming platforms like Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, etc. Just because you stopped your cable subscription does not mean you get that content for free now. You still have to pay for it. The advantage is you get to choose which content you are willing to pay for and don’t have to take the entire bundle of shows a cable provider packages for one price.

Bottom line? Nothing is free except an antenna on your roof.

Can I use Apple TV without a cable service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.