Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external microphone on iPad pro

I purchased a new iPad Pro. Is there a way connect an external audio source to the iPad?

Posted on May 10, 2020 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 11:00 AM

The short answer is no.

I have searched for one long and far for days on every respectable website. There is not a single microphone manufacturer that makes a microphone that will work with the ipad pro. So, while Apple says it supports USB audio interfaces, there is not a single interface that will work - or - make compatible a USB microphone. There MAY BE a USB-C analog to digital converter that will allow an analog microphone to attach to the ipad pro, but I have not found one, and frankly, am not interested in buying adapters for an ipad model that purports to be "pro."

The long answer is out there. Why won't they just say it. The problem is that the ipad USB-C is not backwards compatible with USB 1 and 2. There are connectors that will allow you to connect it, and everyone assumes that because it "can" connect, that it will work, but it doesn't. Have to wait for someone to manufacture a USB-C microphone specifically for iPad Pro. This is like having a Tesla before the invention of electricity, it's designed to be rechargeable, sorry there's no electricity!...back to the horse and buggy!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2020 11:00 AM in response to Keith Mitchell

The short answer is no.

I have searched for one long and far for days on every respectable website. There is not a single microphone manufacturer that makes a microphone that will work with the ipad pro. So, while Apple says it supports USB audio interfaces, there is not a single interface that will work - or - make compatible a USB microphone. There MAY BE a USB-C analog to digital converter that will allow an analog microphone to attach to the ipad pro, but I have not found one, and frankly, am not interested in buying adapters for an ipad model that purports to be "pro."

The long answer is out there. Why won't they just say it. The problem is that the ipad USB-C is not backwards compatible with USB 1 and 2. There are connectors that will allow you to connect it, and everyone assumes that because it "can" connect, that it will work, but it doesn't. Have to wait for someone to manufacture a USB-C microphone specifically for iPad Pro. This is like having a Tesla before the invention of electricity, it's designed to be rechargeable, sorry there's no electricity!...back to the horse and buggy!

Jun 16, 2020 9:39 AM in response to crazy family

Heard that you can get Sennheiser ClipMic Digital, has a lightning connector, plugs into iPhone/older iPad. Have also seen Shure MV88 Plus used. There are supposed to be some models with USB-C connections but not sure which ones. Would think a lightning to USB-C adapter might work. Good luck! I’m trying to connect an external camera to my iPad Pro 2020, but believe there are no iPad OS drivers in place for it.

Jul 1, 2020 4:30 PM in response to Keith Mitchell

I have an issue with recording sound for live streaming church services on Facebook. The iPad internal microphone doesn't seem sufficient in a large room setting with about 10 feet between speakers and iPad. I have a sound mixer, Peavey, and adapters for RCA to USB lines, but the sound still doesn't seem to go to the iPad. Any suggestions? The iPad is a new 11" pro, 256 mb memory.

Jul 1, 2020 4:45 PM in response to RevGreen

I am experimenting with this interface

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJ3GVLW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_27r.EbAN0XDE5

FLYSBA USB Type C Hub Adapter Port 

Lots of mixers have USB type A out put and I own one so I'll ty to see if it allows me to use "house" sound for input. I'll post my results. I plugged a USB mike into it and got Garageband to see the external source and record.

Jul 1, 2020 5:21 PM in response to Keith Mitchell

Okay I can report the FLYSBA USB Type C Hub Adapter Port  mentioned above does allow you to get external audio into Garageband on a 2020 iPad pro (i have the 11 inch) I plugged an xls mike into my mixer and the USB cable from the mixer into the Flysba UsB c adapter. The only thing to remember is that if an app like Garage band is external UsB audio as in input, it assumes you will be listening on that same source as it sends the audio back out the usb, you will not hear it from the iPad speaker. My Garageband knowledge is not deep so there may be a way to split input from output source, but I don't see it. I also tried using a Shure X2u XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter to connect an xlr mike directly to the adapter to the iPad pro and that worked fine. Again I had to use the earphone jack on the Sure adapter to hear my recorded audio. So I suppose if you had a usb mike that did not have audio monitor function, you would not hear your recorded audio without unplugging the adapter. Hopes this helps everyone. There are probably other usb type c adapters that will work, this one just happens to be the one I purchased. I would recommend you be very careful when using something like this plugged into your iPad. Mount every thing tied down so there is not way a sideways force could yank on the adapter, otherwise you could damage your iPad port.

Jul 1, 2020 6:22 PM in response to Keith Mitchell

There are a number of Samson condenser mics that work fine with iPads and iPhones. I have used both my Meteor and Go Mic with my iPad Pro 10.5” with the appropriate mini-USB to lightening cable

https://samsontech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/218311697-USB-Mic-iPhone-iPad-Compatibility

Although since lockdown and working from home I use my Sennheiser SDW5066 headset instead with my iPad Pro or iPhone these days since it is easier to use that and switch between mobile device or computer with a touch.

external microphone on iPad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.