Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular Data not working -- odd looking Cellular data icon

Yesterday, I moved my kids' LG Flip-Phones over to a couple of used (but wiped clean) iPhone 8s.

Today, I discovered that while:

1. Cellular Data is On (in Settings->Celluar->Cellular Data)
  2. The AT&T page shows those phones as having Data active

... neither of the two iPhones actually are getting any Cellular Data (iMessages don't work except on WiFi, Browsing Podcasts says "not connected" except when on WiFi).

Most confusing is the way the Cellular Data button looks on their dashboard (or whatever this is called):

On my iPhone 8, which works fine, that same icon has a white symbol in the middle of the green circle. On the kids' iPhones, it looks like above: green circle but greyish symbol.

What's with that symbol, and what might cause this?

Posted on May 10, 2020 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 11:46 PM

It turns out that:

1. I did have a Change Cellular data restricted, but when I undid that, the icon didn’t change. Maybe I need to wait to see it take effect
  2. Since I had re-used the SIM cards from the LG phones, I had to call AT&T so they would provision data appropriate to the iPhone 8. I wasn’t sure, but the AT&T rep made it sound like the LG phones had only been provisioned with 3G. A 40 minute support call resolved the data issue.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 11:46 PM in response to Axel Foley

It turns out that:

1. I did have a Change Cellular data restricted, but when I undid that, the icon didn’t change. Maybe I need to wait to see it take effect
  2. Since I had re-used the SIM cards from the LG phones, I had to call AT&T so they would provision data appropriate to the iPhone 8. I wasn’t sure, but the AT&T rep made it sound like the LG phones had only been provisioned with 3G. A 40 minute support call resolved the data issue.

Cellular Data not working -- odd looking Cellular data icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.