Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k does not output audio when connected to an audio receiver

I have connected an Apple TV 4k version ( No optical out port) to my Pioneer receiver (HDMI Video input), the Pioneer receiver is connected to Samsung TV (via the HDMI out to TV HDMI Arc input). The video works all the time, but I can never output the audio on the center or front L/R speakers connected to the receiver.

If I replace the Apple TV with a DVD Player, both video and audio plays fine on the TV and Surround speakers with no issues. And if I connect the Apple TV directly to the TV this also works (but do not want to do this)

Checked the forums and all of them suggest setting output to Surround, but I do not see that option anymore in Apple TV. What am I missing here? I have every Apple device and have no issues except this one, just cannot figure this one out! Need some help.

Thanks in advance

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on May 10, 2020 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 8:21 PM

Play audio in surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

I would think that any receiver with video passthrough, would support the PCM Multichannel audio that is default for the Apple TV. But if your receiver is not capable of PCM Multichannel audio, then change the output to Dolby Digital 5.1.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 8:21 PM in response to vauser74

Play audio in surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

I would think that any receiver with video passthrough, would support the PCM Multichannel audio that is default for the Apple TV. But if your receiver is not capable of PCM Multichannel audio, then change the output to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Apple TV 4k does not output audio when connected to an audio receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.