Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic brightness not working

The automatic brightness is not working on both my Mac and iPhone. This problem has been there on my iPhone for long. So I am not sure when it started.

The problem on my Mac is a recent one. I checked the System Report today and it states that my automatic brightness setting is disabled. But under System Preferences, it is enabled. So there is a conflict, and the System Report is correct because auto brightness is not working.

I have tried turning the setting off & on, rebooted to safe mode, etc but that hasn't helped.

Does someone have a solution for this?

MacBook Pro (2019)

Catalina 10.15.4

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2020 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 3:48 PM

Hey Sridhar Ananthanarayanan,

I see that you have a concern with auto-brightness not working on your Mac and iPhone. I'll be happy to help out.

On the iPhone, it sounds like you've made sure auto-brightness is turned off by going to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size. More information can be found here about turning off this feature: Adjust the brightness on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Also make sure that the Low Light setting isn't enabled. Go to Accessibility > Zoom > Zoom Filter > Disable Low Light by making sure None is selected here.

For the MacBook Pro, try creating a test user account to see if the issue is caused by third-party software: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. There's steps to take further in that resource, depending if the issue happens in the test user account or not but you can also let us know the results.

Have a great day.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 3:48 PM in response to Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

Hey Sridhar Ananthanarayanan,

I see that you have a concern with auto-brightness not working on your Mac and iPhone. I'll be happy to help out.

On the iPhone, it sounds like you've made sure auto-brightness is turned off by going to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size. More information can be found here about turning off this feature: Adjust the brightness on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Also make sure that the Low Light setting isn't enabled. Go to Accessibility > Zoom > Zoom Filter > Disable Low Light by making sure None is selected here.

For the MacBook Pro, try creating a test user account to see if the issue is caused by third-party software: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. There's steps to take further in that resource, depending if the issue happens in the test user account or not but you can also let us know the results.

Have a great day.

May 15, 2020 9:33 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hello Sarah & Joseph,

I logged into the other account on my Mac and toggled the auto-brightness switch. It started working. So I logged back into my main user account, and the auto brightness now works. So thanks to both of you.

However, my system report still shows auto-brightness as disabled. Can you tell why?

Thanks.

May 12, 2020 2:58 AM in response to rose_10

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for the response.

iPhone

Auto brightness is now working. Thank you very much.

All 'Accessibility' settings were at default only and as suggested by you. Toggling Auto-Brightness under Settings/ Accessibility/ Display & Text Size off and then back on made it work again. All these days, I was toggling the Automatic button under Settings/ Display & Brightness (which is actually the switch for Light/ Dark themes) and wondering why it wasn't working. I don't understand why Apple would bury the auto-brightness switch so deep inside Settings instead of under Settings/ Display & Brightness, which is much more intuitive and logical.

Thanks for pointing me to this menu.

Here is another question:

On Android devices, if auto-brightness is enabled and I change the brightness level manually, the system 'learns' my preferences over time and tunes the setting automatically to suit my requirements. Is that how it works on Apple products? I remember turning this feature off on my iPhone long ago because I never liked the brightness level that iOS set for me, and didn't notice the system learning my preferences over time. Thats why I stopped using it and didn't bother about it. Has that changed or does Apple still think it will decide what is right for me?

MacBook

I will try creating a new account as you suggested and report my findings. Thanks.

Automatic brightness not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.