Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any reason for me to install Java in 2020?

I mean, I'm an average user doing web browsing, banking, iTunes, etc. And I used to do a lot of Adobe CS 5 Photoshop etc. but haven't upgraded yet.

When I Google to find out if I really need it, all I find is "only if you need it" but they don't give specifics that apply to the typical user, but do give warnings about the dangers of malware.

Can someone give me some practical examples of what kind of websites need it or what kind of programs on Mac OS 14/15 still need Java?

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 10, 2020 9:29 PM

8 replies

May 10, 2020 9:58 PM in response to dialabrain

Thank you dilabrain for replying. What kind of user are you may I ask? (Are you a developer or programmer, it sounds like with so many OS's?)

I'm the above average consumer user (currently, although before I retired 5 years ago I was web programming for 15 years so now I just consider myself an advanced user.)

What kind of use is Java for nowadays? Gaming, 3D graphics design, maps, government, etc?

May 10, 2020 10:08 PM in response to StevoFL

StevoFL wrote:

Thank you dilabrain for replying. What kind of user are you may I ask? (Are you a developer or programmer, it sounds like with so many OS's?)

I've been using computers for over three decades. I just have a general interest in computers. I did own a computer graphics company. I'm now retired.

What kind of use is Java for nowadays? Gaming, 3D graphics design, maps, government, etc?

I don't keep up with what uses Java fills today. I'm sure some still use the Java language for something. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.