You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I share a picture from Photos to Facebook?

How do I share a picture from Photos to Facebook? - Catalina 10.15.4

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 11, 2020 2:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 3:33 PM

To upload Photos you do not go to the Pictures Folder.

When the file chooser dialog appears, when you are trying to upload photos, you scroll down to the Media section in the sidebar:

Click "Photos" below "Media", then select the Photos Library, when it appears. To the left of "Photos" will be a disclosure triangle. Click this to reveal the albums inside. This should work, when you try to upload to Facebook using a web browser.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2020 3:33 PM in response to simeon26

To upload Photos you do not go to the Pictures Folder.

When the file chooser dialog appears, when you are trying to upload photos, you scroll down to the Media section in the sidebar:

Click "Photos" below "Media", then select the Photos Library, when it appears. To the left of "Photos" will be a disclosure triangle. Click this to reveal the albums inside. This should work, when you try to upload to Facebook using a web browser.

May 11, 2020 4:52 AM in response to simeon26

It is not possible directly from the Photos.app on Catalina. Apple has summarily removed the built-in sharing options for social media sites ( Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, and Vimeo) from MacOS X for security reasons when macOS 10.14 Mojave came out (https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/05/macos-mojave-security-privacy/).

The new method is safer. Instead of the old method, where Apple managed the social media accounts in the System Preferences > Accounts on our computer, we now have to install a sharing extension provided by the social media site. You can still share photos directly from Photos, if the site is offering a sharing extension (we are still waiting for an extension provided by Facebook).

See: Share photos using other apps and websites in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Do it other way round. Open your facebook page in a web browser, then open the photo browser to upload some photos to a Facebook album. In the File chooser dialog scroll down until you are seeing Media section in the sidebar. Click "Photos" in "Media", then select the photos library.

if you are using the Media Browser to access your Photos Library from the photo uploader on a web site, view the photos enlarged in Photos, before you open the web page. By viewing the photos enlarged, you can force the download from iCloud and make the photos locally available for sharing.

May 12, 2020 4:19 AM in response to simeon26

Yes, you cannot access Photos Library from the Finder. The Photos Library is a package - a complicated structure of connected databases and media files, and you need a program to find the photos there. The Media Browser (in any file > open dialog) can show you the photos there, and also the Photos.app.

You will see, why the Finder cannot show you the photos inside the library, if you look at the package - but be very careful and do not modify anything:

• Open your Pictures folder and select the Photos Library.
  • Ctrl-click or right click the library.
  • You will see a contextual menu. Click "Show Package Contents".
  • The Finder window, that will open will show you the files and folders in the package. Your original image files are in the folder "Originals", renamed and hard to identify, and stored in a random fashion.

It is simply not readable for humans. Close the window without changing anything.

May 11, 2020 9:46 AM in response to léonie

OK, although I don't understand how this can work on iOS and not on MacOS... and why they made that decision... I am very happy with my iPhone and my iPad but not with my MacBook Pro because of that.

But then - the "other way round" is also frustrating because when I go from Photo/Video on Facebook to the folder Pictures in Finder I don't see my pictures from the Photos app there. Is there a way or setting to change that? I see Phots Libraty.photos library but I cannot click on it and choose the picture which I want to share. What is the trick there? How should I access my pictures from my iPhone through Finder?

May 12, 2020 3:49 AM in response to simeon26

Now I see it and it works. Thank you!!!

Question: Is it possible to see the section Media and Photos and Movies under it in Finder? It is strange that they appear when I go there from Facebook in Safari, but I don't see this section when I open Finder directly. Is this normal? This is confusing for me. Can I set it in Finder so that it appears when I open Finder directly?

Thanks in advance.

How do I share a picture from Photos to Facebook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.