Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trust this computer errors

I have read all the docs on errors with 'Trust the Computer' messages on the iphone - but can't find anything that talks to the underlying problem.

When I connect my iPhone Xs Max to my new 16" Macbook Pro I get the message 'Trust this computer'... once I accept this functions like USB hotspot works.

However, I keep getting problems where the iPhone forgets that it knows this computer... and then asks for permission again. When it gets into this mode it doesn't matter how many times I say 'Trust this computer' and enter the code... the computer does not see the iPhone and things like "iPhone USB" hotspot do not work.

When it gets into this mode the only way to fix it is to "Reset Location & Privacy" settings on the iPhone - then it forgets whatever has it stuck in this 'Trust this computer' loop.

I am not 100% sure what triggers the problem but I think it might have something to do with using VPN... it looks like when I activate VPN (via ExpressVPN) it causes this problem.

Looks a VPN bug on the iPhone that is causing the trust settings to get corrupted.

Is this a known bug and is there a way to fix it?

Both the Macbook and iPhone are on the latest software.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on May 11, 2020 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 3:37 AM

Thanks.

only thing that works is resetting the location and privacy settings

2 replies

Trust this computer errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.