Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2020 Slow Authentication (macOS Catalina 10.15.4)

I just got the new 2020 MacBook Pro 16''. Recently I just find the authentication really slow. For example, it took about 20 seconds for the "enter password" window to pop up after clicking the "lock icon" on the left-bottom corner. Also, it took almost 10 seconds to open "Security & Privacy" section in "System Reference". What is more, it took a long time to log in to the system after entering the password and hit enter button.

Here is the system information.

Posted on May 11, 2020 9:03 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 12, 2020 10:07 AM in response to WDDDD

Hi WDDDD,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having an issue with your MacBook Pro 16" in relation to its speed.

Here is a good resource to check out:

If your Mac runs slowly

In regards to your machine loading after typing in your password at the log in window, this is an expected to behaviour when using the T2 Security Chip and/or FileVault. The Apple T2 Security Chip and FileVault both encrypt your hard drive and do not allow access until your password is correctly inputed. If you're interested to learn more about the Apple T2 Security Chip and FileVault here are some great resources:

About the Apple T2 Security Chip

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac

If you're still having issues I'd recommend answering the following questions so the community can better support you.

• What applications are currently running?
  • How much memory is being used?
  • How much free storage is available?
  • Is this a new behaviour or did it start recently?
  • Does it only behave like this after start up?

Take care

Jun 14, 2020 8:57 AM in response to WDDDD

After about 8 hours of trial and error to get the system to speed up, I'm about to return my wife's 2020 MacBook pro 13" that I paid $2k+ for as her old 2011 MBP retina is faster at performing all tasks. Did you find a solution?

It was a fresh install, only installed Dropbox, 1Password and Office 2016.

RESOLUTION UPDATE: After two more hours, I ran across the "Change the picture of the user" suggestion. And voila - Everything is working lightning quick. Apple, you might want to put that into your list of suggestions.

MacBook Pro 2020 Slow Authentication (macOS Catalina 10.15.4)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.