Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod and MacBook / Apple Music - how to play back songs?

How do I play songs on my iPod touch through my new MacBook Air?

for years I’ve had various iPods which I’ve filled with songs ripped from my hard copy CDs. I would plug the iPod into my windows laptop and play songs via iTunes.

Ive bought a new MacBook Air and have plugged my IPod touch into it. The device is shown in the Music App but I can’t play any of the songs - they’re just there in a read only format?

what am I doing wrong? It’s a brand new Mac with no songs on it so hoping I won’t need to wipe my iPod clean and start again to play songs via the device.

best wishes

dom

Posted on May 11, 2020 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 1:07 PM

Hello,

You cannot play music stored on another device on a Macintosh. You will need to have these songs imported into your Macintosh’s Music library.

2 replies

iPod and MacBook / Apple Music - how to play back songs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.