Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a new ipod classic to iTunes account

I have an ipod classic which is almost full memory.

I have got a 2nd ipod classic, which once the 1st ipod is full I want to then use the 2and ipod.

How do I add the 2nd ipod classic to not copy over same music as 1st ipod, and to use that for new music to be synced.

Thanks

Posted on May 12, 2020 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2020 10:45 AM

You can sync an unlimited number of devices to iTunes. Each can have its own selection of content selected to sync with. See Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support.

tt2

4 replies

May 13, 2020 12:51 PM in response to redandblack

redandblack wrote:

Wouldn’t that sync the original music and not future music?

You can Sync by Playlist, artists, albums and genres. That's how you get specific content on to an iPod.

So to achieve what you want, first decide the criteria for splitting your iTunes Library. Then we can decide on the method for doing that. If you read the following more than once, it should get clearer each time.

For example (and these are simply examples), you might wish to split your Library:

1. according to the date that music was added to the Library
  2. ratings given to songs
  3. genres
  4. the date you last played the song (i.e., songs not played for a long time on one iPod, that you always have to hand, while more recently played songs on the other, that you only take with you when you have the room for two iPods)
  5. your mixed up choice of individual songs that appears impossible

Once you've decided, you create Smart Playlists (yes, perhaps more than one) that split the Library up as you want. Then you Sync one playlist to the first iPod and the other playlist to the second iPod. If you have not yet discovered Smart Playlists, what you can do with them is set rules that cause iTunes to automatically add, exclude and even remove-after-playing and then put back at a later date, any-and-all the songs in your Library.

Looking at my suggestions above:

1. (Date Added to Library): create a Smart Playlist (Playlist 1) that adds all songs added before a date you specify. Create a second Smart Playlist (Playlist 2) that excludes any song in the first Playlist. Then Sync Playlist 1 to one iPod and Playlist 2 to the other iPod
  2. (Song Ratings): Smart Playlist A contains any song rated 0, 1 or 2 stars. Smart Playlist B contains any song rated 3, 4 or 5 stars
  3. (Genres): simply Sync by genre. No Playlists required. You can specify exactly which genres you want on each iPod
  4. (Last Played): this is one of my favourites:
    1. create a Smart Playlist that has only songs not played in the last <you specify days, weeks or months here>
    2. create a second Smart Playlist that include all songs played in the last <you specify days, weeks or months here>. You could even have an overlap, that include songs in both lists, or a gap, to exclude songs from both lists. iTunes would move the song into the appropriate list dependent upon when you play the song
  5. (Your free choice): this is probably my favourite:
    1. create a Regular Playlist, into which you manually drag any song that you want. Any song at all
    2. create a Smart Playlist that excludes any song that is in the Regular Playlist

If you would like help in creating Smart Playlists, please ask.

Adding a new ipod classic to iTunes account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.