Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X (10.5) crashes randomly - possibly instrument related

Hey, all. I'm getting some really frustrating crashes with Logic Pro X. Just updated to 10.5, but this was happening before.

The whole app crashes out, usually when I'm loading in or playing with instruments (switching between patches, for instance). Doesn't appear to be linked to any one particular instrument. The one that has just happened was when I was attempting to load up Massive X.

Device is a 2019 16" MacBook Pro, 32gb RAM, 8-core i9.

The only thing I've done recently which seems to have coincided with the crashing is install a couple of SoundToys plugins.

Any help gratefully received!

Here's the first part of the crash report (it's huge).

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 13, 2020 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply
14 replies

May 13, 2020 7:27 AM in response to theboyellis

Same issue. Its not just NI plug ins ... Iv'e experienced it with whole load (including Omnisphere, Union and several others). It's got to the point I can't really continue using 10.5 as I'm gambling on a crash every time I load a plug in.

Thats disastrous. I have to try reverting to an older logic version (if thats even viable) or give up on it as my DAW for some undefined period. I've a lot invested in plugins.

Did the developers did not spot this? Or did they do so and decide not to bother coordinating or notifying third party plug in developers (and I'm not talking tiny or rare plug ins)? A DAW is a platform that must partly be judged by its ability to run plug ins, not a self contained ecosphere...so WTF is going on?

May 18, 2020 10:07 AM in response to theboyellis

I have the same problem... recurring crashes. One of my virtual instruments (Retrox Wave from Electronik Sound Lab) crashes Logic as soon as I load one of its presets... between this type of problem and abusive security rules when installing software (legal, all licensed)... Catalina is starting to become very annoying, against a fluid and reliable user experience.

That’s why we buy Apple, isn’t it?

They’ll have to correct the hard shot!

May 20, 2020 9:09 AM in response to huw140

My Logic is crashing every time I am putting Waves and Native Instruments plugins. Universal Audio was having similar issue but they immediately sent step by step process which worked. They are anyway developing an update too. But it's really frustrating coming from Apple. It really just suddenly stops all work flow. They should give a Beta version for people to check before the final is updated so we know if our 3rd party plugins are working fine before we update.

Jun 1, 2020 8:32 PM in response to theboyellis

10.5 became a piece of crap. It's not compatible with THE MAJORITY of today's plugins. Apple literally ******* on users once again. There's a mega thread on Reddit regarding this.

XLN, Omni, Fab, Waves, NI and other developers are affected. Battery 4 stopped working a couple of years ago for me, constantly crashing the projects when trying to browse for samples. And this hasn't been fixed yet. I'm thinking about quitting Logic now, this **** is barely usable.

Jun 10, 2020 4:18 PM in response to theboyellis

Since updating I've had loads of crashes with a variety of third party plugins, some projects are really struggling to open - I had to delete one Arturia plugin just to open one of my projects yesterday. The same project has crashed on both Slate plugins and Native Instruments plugins today already... really regretting the update now. Really hope they sort it soon!!

Logic Pro X (10.5) crashes randomly - possibly instrument related

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.