Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.pkg files won't install on my mac

For some reason whenever I try to install an application (.pkg files specifically) I get an installation failed message. At first I thought it was just that application but it has happenned 4 other times and have had no luck installing anything. I heard repairing user permission might fix the problem but tried that to no avail. I've also tried installing applications in a different brand new user account with no success. Does anyone know what might be going on?

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 13, 2020 1:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 3:04 AM

odoug04 Said:

".pkg files won't install on my mac: [...]I also am unable to install malware bytes as that is the problem I am trying to solve. May I ask, how might clearing my browser cookies and cache files help?"

-------

Answers, respectively.

• Boot into Safe Mode (hold down the shift key upon boot) and Install Malwarebytes that way. Get the installer using another Mac.

• Clearing cookies and cache helps because it would clear storage space and any temporary settings that are getting in the way of performing downloads. Cookies remember site entered data; Caches remember the last time a site loaded.

Catalina is 64-bit Only:

Did you recently upgrade to Catalina? If so, 32-Bit apps will not install, as Catalina only uses 64-bit apps. So, if these are 32-bit apps, ask the developer for the correct installation files (64-bit).

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 3:04 AM in response to odoug04

odoug04 Said:

".pkg files won't install on my mac: [...]I also am unable to install malware bytes as that is the problem I am trying to solve. May I ask, how might clearing my browser cookies and cache files help?"

-------

Answers, respectively.

• Boot into Safe Mode (hold down the shift key upon boot) and Install Malwarebytes that way. Get the installer using another Mac.

• Clearing cookies and cache helps because it would clear storage space and any temporary settings that are getting in the way of performing downloads. Cookies remember site entered data; Caches remember the last time a site loaded.

Catalina is 64-bit Only:

Did you recently upgrade to Catalina? If so, 32-Bit apps will not install, as Catalina only uses 64-bit apps. So, if these are 32-bit apps, ask the developer for the correct installation files (64-bit).

May 13, 2020 2:15 AM in response to odoug04

odoug04 Said:

".pkg files won't install on my mac: For some reason whenever I try to install an application (.pkg files specifically) I get an installation failed message.[...]"

-------

Reply With A Screenshot:

Please provide a screenshot of this error window. That would help.

1. Go Here: Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support.
  2. Use: [Shift + Command + 4 + Spacebar]
  3. Blank Out: personal information (name, phone, eMail, etc.)
  4. Use: Insert image button (first in from far-right)

May 13, 2020 2:17 AM in response to odoug04

odoug04 Said:

".pkg files won't install on my mac: [...]it has happenned 4 other times and have had no luck installing anything.[...]"

-------

Five Thoughts:

Seems something is misconfigured here., having happened 5 times total So, try the following:

I. Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for macOS) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.

II. Clear your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

III. Use MalwareBytes for Mac:

This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac. It is created by longtime users of these forums. So, that is why it is the only way to go about securing your Mac, when it comes through use of software 

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

IV. Any Security Software Installed?:

Security Software's firewall settings would want to make sure that you are getting secure accessibility to your Mac. So, connecting items would not be a possibility, if firewall settings are part of it and enabled. So, uninstall it, using the uninstaller from the developer’s site. Just dragging a dropping its icon into the Trash will undesirably leave caches and other files sitting around on your Mac. So, use the uninstaller, contacting the developer of the software.

V. Create a New Administrator User:

Are you logged in as an Administrator? Create a new Administrator user, and see if this still occurs while you are logged into a different Administrator user. If not, then it is something configured in your current user. So, from there, delete the current user and then just use this new administrator account. You would move all of your files over to it. See if that fixes it.

May 13, 2020 4:47 AM in response to odoug04

odoug04 Said:

".pkg files won't install on my mac: [...]I appreciate your help but I'm afraid i'm not having any luck.[...]

———-

Some Thoughts from here:

First, backup your Mac, so nothing

As for installing these:

• Try Disabling SIP. See if they install. Then, re-enable SIP

• Approve the Install: Look in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > See if it is prompting you to give permission to run a third party app.

• Spotlight Search: Press: [command + spacebar] and search for the app name. If it is already installed, remove the installation file

• Run First Aid in Disk Utility: Click on the Hard Drive, and run First Aid

• Mount the Installs in Disk Utility: Select the install file, and see if you need to mount it

• Restore from a Time Machine Backup: If you have a Time Machine Backup prior to all of this, restore from and try this once more. Once installed, create a new Time Machine Backup, and use migration assistant to migrate them over to the Time Machine Backup you created atop this reply.

or... the Ultimate Solution:

• Reinstall the MacOS Anew: Backup the Mac, erase the hard drive, install the MacOS. From there Install it all anew, contacting the developers for your new installs.

May 13, 2020 2:28 AM in response to TheLittles

Here's a screenshot of the problem (when trying to install SF-Symbols but same for any .pkg file)

I'll try resetting the SMC and NVRAM, however I can confirm that I do not have any security software installed that could be blocking it and i've tried creating another administrator account with no luck (my current account is also an administrator account, user permissions were also recently repaired using recovery mode). I also am unable to install malware bytes as that is the problem I am trying to solve. May I ask, how might clearing my browser cookies and cache files help?

Thanks

May 13, 2020 3:28 AM in response to TheLittles

I appreciate your help but I'm afraid i'm not having any luck. Just to clarify I can download the installer perfectly fine however it just fails at the very end of the installation proccess. I've had catalina since Beta and double checked that everything is 64-bit, this is a fairly new issue.

I've attatched a screenshot of the installer logs if that is helpful

Thanks

.pkg files won't install on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.