You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie

How do you fit music to the length of the movie /sideshow?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 13, 2020 7:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 9:14 AM

So, you want the song to come to its natural end right at the conclusion of the slideshow. (Unfortunately, there is no "fit to music" feature in iMovie.)

There are three ways to fit your music to the slide show:

1. Select your slides as a batch (Shift-select). Click on the little circle icon with an "i" in it in the tool bar in the upper right of your screen. In the duration box that appears to the right, type in a new duration for the slides to match the length of your music. Then press the Return key on your keyboard to set the change. There may be a little trial and error in it. Alternatively, you could choose certain slides in the show and increase and/or reduce their length to make the slideshow fit the song. Other ways to vary the duration of the slideshow would be to increase the lengths of transitions, add titles, put a black background spacer at the start, and so on.

2. Somewhere in the middle of the song, at an appropriate place, remove a section to make the song fit.

3. Make your slideshow in the photos app without music. (Or make the slideshow in iMovie without music.) In either case, export the slideshow to your desktop as a movie. Import the movie into your iMovie slideshow project. Add your song. Now, control-click on the slideshow movie clip and select Show Speed Editor in the drop down menu. That will cause a speed adjustment slider to appear in the upper right hand corner of the video clip. Put your cursor on it to drag it to the left to speed up the slideshow, or to the right to slow it down. Adjust its duration to fit the music.

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2020 9:14 AM in response to pdhicks

So, you want the song to come to its natural end right at the conclusion of the slideshow. (Unfortunately, there is no "fit to music" feature in iMovie.)

There are three ways to fit your music to the slide show:

1. Select your slides as a batch (Shift-select). Click on the little circle icon with an "i" in it in the tool bar in the upper right of your screen. In the duration box that appears to the right, type in a new duration for the slides to match the length of your music. Then press the Return key on your keyboard to set the change. There may be a little trial and error in it. Alternatively, you could choose certain slides in the show and increase and/or reduce their length to make the slideshow fit the song. Other ways to vary the duration of the slideshow would be to increase the lengths of transitions, add titles, put a black background spacer at the start, and so on.

2. Somewhere in the middle of the song, at an appropriate place, remove a section to make the song fit.

3. Make your slideshow in the photos app without music. (Or make the slideshow in iMovie without music.) In either case, export the slideshow to your desktop as a movie. Import the movie into your iMovie slideshow project. Add your song. Now, control-click on the slideshow movie clip and select Show Speed Editor in the drop down menu. That will cause a speed adjustment slider to appear in the upper right hand corner of the video clip. Put your cursor on it to drag it to the left to speed up the slideshow, or to the right to slow it down. Adjust its duration to fit the music.

-- Rich

May 13, 2020 8:18 AM in response to pdhicks

The easiest way would be to trim back the audio clip and add a fade with the fade sliders.

Start by expanding out your timeline with the slider next to the settings button above the timeline on the right hand side of the screen. Then put your cursor on the right hand edge of the audio clip and, while pressing down, drag the edge to the end of your movie. Then put your cursor on the audio clip to make little blue fade handles appear in the upper left and right corners of the audio clip. To add a fade, hold down the Option key while sliding the right hand corner fade handle to the left.

-- Rich

May 13, 2020 8:42 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for the prompt Rich - I appreciate it. Your solution sounds interesting and I'm sure it would work if the music were generic background music but if it is a well known song, particularly with lyrics, it may not work as well. It boggles my mind that the "Fit to Music" feature in Photos (that is longer working by the way) isn't available in iMovie. For example, If I have a project that has 175 slides/video clips and the default length of each image is 3 seconds, I just can't fathom why I am manually having to calculate songs that would come the closest to the length of the slideshow. I just feel like I'm missing something....

May 13, 2020 10:34 AM in response to Rich839

Another technique that sometimes works well, depending on the style of the song and the effect that you want, is to trim off the front part of the song, maybe adding a fade in, so that the ending concludes appropriately at the end of video portion of the slide show. Obviously if there is a spectacular or melodious beginning of the song that coordinates well with the opening slides, this method wouldn't be suitable.

-- Rich

imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.