Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup using time machine on a Bell 2000 hub using a usb external hard drive

Somebody knows how to backup using time machine using a usb external hard drive on a Bell 2000 hub?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 13, 2020 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 1:30 PM

Here are the disks you can use as a Time Machine destination.

Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support

Based on a quick search, your Bell Home Hub would need to support the Time Machine over SMB specification.

My guess is that it does not support that specification.

5 replies

May 13, 2020 1:20 PM in response to GeB

What have you tried? What problem did you have?

Please read Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question. We are here to help. We are all users. We are not mind-readers nor clairvoyants. We only know what you write down and tell us. Be specific and thorough. Include your hardware information and installed version of macOS. Try to write clearly. Think about what you want to say before you write it down, then re-read it to see if it makes sense.

FYI: These are user-only forums. This is not Apple Support. if you need to contact Apple Support, then contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

These forums only provide help with Apple products. Thank you for your understanding and support.

May 13, 2020 1:30 PM in response to Kappy

Ok.

I want to use an external hard drive LaCie d2 8Tb for Time Machine backups over wifi. The wifi router is the "Bell 2000 hub".

When I connect the HD by USB to the router, I cannot connect using Finder Goto, and it is not detected by the Finder.

So I cannot setup a Time Machine backup.

MacBook Pro 2017, Catalina 10.15.4

May 13, 2020 1:46 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks.

Using a USB stick 16 Gb, I have been able to connect by smb (smb://mynetwork), but this is inconsistent. Sometimes I can, now I cant. I have not been able to connect to the 8 Tb HD via USB (C to A) on the Bell 2000 hub.

I used to have an external drive connected by USB on a Time Capsule. Time Capsule was connected to Bell 2000 hub via ethernet cable. Time Machine backups worked fine.

Time Capsule HD has died. I removed the HD from Time Capsule to attempt to recover data, but this seems to prevent the Time Capsule to restart (removed internal HD).

I was planning to use a new external HD for Time Machine backups, connected directly into the Bell 2000 hub, so not having to route through the Time Capsule.

Any additional suggestions?

How to backup using time machine on a Bell 2000 hub using a usb external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.