Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mid 2012 macbook pro won't update.

Hi, my mom recently got a MacbookPro mid 2012 with Mountain Lion 10.8.5

but i want it to update it cause you know Compatibility with like, everything.

I searched for mavericks on Apple's web but could not find it anywhere so, i tried clean install for catalina but it does not work...What should i do?

should i throw away the computer, install windows or Linux? or is it out there a way to update it

PD i also downloaded a maverick ISO but does not work...

Posted on May 13, 2020 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 2:35 PM

AndyMo94 Said:

"mid 2012 macbook pro won't update. Hi, my mom recently got a MacbookPro mid 2012 with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 but i want it to update it cause you know Compatibility with like, everything. I searched for mavericks on Apple's web but could not find it anywhere so, i tried clean install for catalina but it does not work...What should I do[...]"

-------

Go Here: How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

If a direct install does not work, then you could install High Sierra, and upgrade to Catalina from that.

Confirm Compatibility:

1. Enter the Serial Number Here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  2. See if the Model is Listed Here: macOS Catalina is Compatible with these Computers
  3. Install Using a: Bootable Installer for macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  4. Then, you can Upgrade to Catalina: Bootable Installer for macOS 10.15 Catalina

Creating the USB Bootable Installer:

Use another Mac to create one. Or, while in Recovery Mode, go to: Utilities menu > Open: Terminal. Create one for High Sierra, and then one for Catalina.

Use a Reliable Connection:

Reset your Router - and, if an available option, connect to the router using a CAT6 Ethernet cable (a network cable).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 2:35 PM in response to AndyMo94

AndyMo94 Said:

"mid 2012 macbook pro won't update. Hi, my mom recently got a MacbookPro mid 2012 with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 but i want it to update it cause you know Compatibility with like, everything. I searched for mavericks on Apple's web but could not find it anywhere so, i tried clean install for catalina but it does not work...What should I do[...]"

-------

Go Here: How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

If a direct install does not work, then you could install High Sierra, and upgrade to Catalina from that.

Confirm Compatibility:

1. Enter the Serial Number Here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  2. See if the Model is Listed Here: macOS Catalina is Compatible with these Computers
  3. Install Using a: Bootable Installer for macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  4. Then, you can Upgrade to Catalina: Bootable Installer for macOS 10.15 Catalina

Creating the USB Bootable Installer:

Use another Mac to create one. Or, while in Recovery Mode, go to: Utilities menu > Open: Terminal. Create one for High Sierra, and then one for Catalina.

Use a Reliable Connection:

Reset your Router - and, if an available option, connect to the router using a CAT6 Ethernet cable (a network cable).

mid 2012 macbook pro won't update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.