You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup ICloud mail on your desktop or laptop using an E-mail client of your choice.

How do we set up @icloud.com and

@me.com E-mail addresses on other major operation systems like

MS windows, Lunix, Android ?

The last known working e-mail

server settings to me are:

---------------------- i n c o m i n g ---------------------

protocol IMAP

server hostname imap.mail.me.com

Port 993

SSL SSL/TLS

Authentication Normal Password

Username

---------------------- o u t g o i n g ---------------------

protocol SMTP

server hostname smtp.mail.me.com

Port 587

SSL STARTTLS

Authentication Normal Password

Username <email address>

These setting don't work anymore,

for example it results in

'Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your account'.

for that E-mail client.

on Iphone (iOS) 13.3.1) it works with the default

MAIL app after changing the apple ID but then after a couple of minutes I get:

The connection with the outgoing

server "p54-smtp.mail.me.com" isn't possible. You can configure the

server in settings > account and passwords.

It would be great to be able to

keep using these clients with these domain names, so I am keen to get this to

work again.

iPhone 6s

Posted on May 14, 2020 7:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 7:45 AM

Here are the IMAP and SMTP settings required for iCloud mail: Mail server settings for iCloud email clients - Apple Support

These mail server setting should (will) work across all known mail clients, absent setup issues with or bugs with the particular mail client, or local network security policies or related similar security or connectivity issues.

All mail clients have two groupings of credentials for each mail server. You will need to set up the read/retrieve (IMAP) and sending (SMTP) settings either using provided automatic tools, or manually. The two groupings are the read-retrieve (IMAP) , and mail-sending settings (SMTP). Each group will typically have server login credentials, security settings (TLS enabled, here), and a host name specification. One for reading and receiving, and one for sending. Some clients can assume an overlap, but that’s not a requirement of mail servers; IMAP and SMTP can be the same, or different, depending on how the mail server administrators have configured the servers.

If you have issues with the Thunderbird app and particularly its apparently-malfunctioning automated settings retrieval mechanism, establish the necessary configuration manually, and then have a chat with the folks maintaining Thunderbird around the automated setup mechanism.

If you have particular issues with a particular mail client such as Thunderbird on some other and unknown platform, check with the folks supporting that mail client—the host and settings requirements details for the mail server are consistent across all mail clients, though the user interfaces and the capabilities of the various mail clients can and do vary. The mail clients also have different mechanisms for logging connection activity and troubleshooting.

It is also possible that some networks will block connections.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2020 7:45 AM in response to HEF-Andrioli

Here are the IMAP and SMTP settings required for iCloud mail: Mail server settings for iCloud email clients - Apple Support

These mail server setting should (will) work across all known mail clients, absent setup issues with or bugs with the particular mail client, or local network security policies or related similar security or connectivity issues.

All mail clients have two groupings of credentials for each mail server. You will need to set up the read/retrieve (IMAP) and sending (SMTP) settings either using provided automatic tools, or manually. The two groupings are the read-retrieve (IMAP) , and mail-sending settings (SMTP). Each group will typically have server login credentials, security settings (TLS enabled, here), and a host name specification. One for reading and receiving, and one for sending. Some clients can assume an overlap, but that’s not a requirement of mail servers; IMAP and SMTP can be the same, or different, depending on how the mail server administrators have configured the servers.

If you have issues with the Thunderbird app and particularly its apparently-malfunctioning automated settings retrieval mechanism, establish the necessary configuration manually, and then have a chat with the folks maintaining Thunderbird around the automated setup mechanism.

If you have particular issues with a particular mail client such as Thunderbird on some other and unknown platform, check with the folks supporting that mail client—the host and settings requirements details for the mail server are consistent across all mail clients, though the user interfaces and the capabilities of the various mail clients can and do vary. The mail clients also have different mechanisms for logging connection activity and troubleshooting.

It is also possible that some networks will block connections.

May 14, 2020 8:36 AM in response to HEF-Andrioli

Your normal iCloud password will not work with non-Apple apps or devices. Where you are using a non-Apple app to access your email or other facilities using apps, you are now required to use an 'app-specific' password in place of your normal iCloud password. In order to do this you need to set up two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, and for this you need to have either a Mac running El Capitan or above, or an iOS device running iOS9 or above.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

If you are unable to set up two-factor authentication you should set up 2-step verification and use that to create an app-specific password (see link below) . Then go to https://appleid.apple.com , select 'Password and Security'; click 'Generate an App-Specific Password' and follow the instructions. Once you have the password, copy it and paste it into the password field in the application instead of your usual iCloud password. You should also keep a note of it (though you can generate a new one if required).

Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

You will need to nominate a 'trusted device' - any phone capable of receiving SMS messages. There will be a 2-day wait before you can complete the process.

(A particular caveat (about 2-step only) - you will be issued with a 'Recovery Key' in case you lose your 'trusted device'. Make sure to write this down and keep it in a safe place; if you lose both it and your trusted device you will be permanently locked out of your ID. You'd be surprised at the number of people who've posted here that they've got themselves into just that position.)

Jun 26, 2020 7:00 PM in response to sylvonia130

sylvonia130 wrote:

How to retrieve my icloud mail on Windows 365

ICloud.com web interface allows reading and writing mail messages. Log in there, and select mail from the menu.

The necessary settings for any mail client are posted above.

If you’re using Microsoft Office 365 on Mac, see:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2648915/microsoft-outlook-for-mac-compatibility-with-apple-icloud

If you’re using Microsoft Office 365 on Microsoft Windows, see:

Get help using Outlook with iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

If you’re using Microsoft Office 365 on some other operating system, which one? Linux? BSD?

If you’re still unable to get this working, contact the Microsoft Office 365 Support folks.

May 14, 2020 8:30 AM in response to MrHoffman

Good morning to you MrHoffman! I appreciate your swift response on a for what it seems to be a quite early morning.

I'll be looking into this issue and comment here about the results that will yield from your advice.

Please consider visiting the apple store when you happen to visit Amsterdam, as it is very inspiring place indeed.

Sincerely

H. E. F Andrioli

May 29, 2020 5:02 PM in response to Ilvolo

Ilvolo wrote:

Cancel or delete an e mail address using I cloud How.???

Please start your own thread, as this is a very different question.

In that new posting and that new thread, please consider adding a few more words to explain your preferred end results of making this change to your Apple ID.

An Apple ID is usually an email address, so deleting the address means deleting the Apple ID, which means that everything associated with that Apple ID will no longer be available, all purchases and subscriptions gone, and any devices still associated with that Apple ID through Activation Lock will be permanently and irrevocably unavailable to you and anyone else; junk.

Changing the associated email address is usually possible.

Deleting an alias email address associated with an Apple ID is also possible.

If it’s not clear from the above, a few more words around what you want to have happen here would help address your particular question. In your new thread, what is your current situation, and what do you want to have happen here?

How to setup ICloud mail on your desktop or laptop using an E-mail client of your choice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.