Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Map app showing current location as old address

I recently moved and my Map app keeps showing my current location at my old address. I’ve changed my address everywhere and checked location services as well as the Map settings.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 15, 2020 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 3:58 AM

I’d make an educated guess that you have a WiFi Only model of iPad Pro?

If so, you may not have a fault, WiFi Only models do not have any GPS location capability - and as such are completely reliant upon their network connection to infer an approximate location.

Your approximate geographic location would be estimated from a “database lookup” of (a) your WiFi Network Name (SSID) or detected neighbouring WiFi networks - and (b) the “public” IP Address provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). 

If the mapped WiFi network name or IP Address are not available within the applicable databases, or if this information substantially differs between sources, then your approximate location may not be computed. This situation often occurs if you are in a remote/rural location where neighbouring WiFi networks are scarce - or if connecting over satellite or VPN connections.

Network IP Addresses and WiFi networks are frequently mapped in urban and cosmopolitan areas (including “crowd source” techniques) and as such approximation of your location from lookup against these databases can be provide relatively high accuracy. At population and network density diminishes, this mechanism becomes progressively less reliable.

If you can, perhaps try connecting to a different WiFi network - be it private, public or your telephone WiFi hotspot.

I hope this explanation as to possible cause is helpful.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 3:58 AM in response to ROPI14

I’d make an educated guess that you have a WiFi Only model of iPad Pro?

If so, you may not have a fault, WiFi Only models do not have any GPS location capability - and as such are completely reliant upon their network connection to infer an approximate location.

Your approximate geographic location would be estimated from a “database lookup” of (a) your WiFi Network Name (SSID) or detected neighbouring WiFi networks - and (b) the “public” IP Address provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). 

If the mapped WiFi network name or IP Address are not available within the applicable databases, or if this information substantially differs between sources, then your approximate location may not be computed. This situation often occurs if you are in a remote/rural location where neighbouring WiFi networks are scarce - or if connecting over satellite or VPN connections.

Network IP Addresses and WiFi networks are frequently mapped in urban and cosmopolitan areas (including “crowd source” techniques) and as such approximation of your location from lookup against these databases can be provide relatively high accuracy. At population and network density diminishes, this mechanism becomes progressively less reliable.

If you can, perhaps try connecting to a different WiFi network - be it private, public or your telephone WiFi hotspot.

I hope this explanation as to possible cause is helpful.

May 16, 2020 4:14 AM in response to ROPI14

Reliable GPS positioning requires a clear view of the sky. When indoors, your iPhone relies upon your WiFi network to derive its location (based upon the lookup mechanisms described earlier) - which we know does not work on your current network/internet connection.

So, far from being a mystery, your issues are pretty much explained.

When outside, your iPhone can use GPS; when indoors, your iPhone and iPad are reliant upon the same network/internet connection to derive approximate location - which in your specific rural location, over your internet connection, doesn’t work. Cached website cookies still associate your “location” with that known when your position was last reliably updated.

May 16, 2020 11:15 AM in response to ROPI14

It took a while to get it to show where I actually was when in a more populated area when connected to the phone. (No wifi around due to closed stores.) Then, outside the house while connected to the phone's hotspot it gave the correct location. But once inside it reverted back, even using the hotspot. At least the phone is showing the correct location now. That's good enough, so thanks for the help!

Map app showing current location as old address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.