Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing external drive to iCloud

I have moved all my files and photos off my computer to an external HD for safety reasons. Is there a way I can sync my files from the external HD with iCloud?

iMac 27", OS X 10.10

Posted on May 15, 2020 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 1:52 PM

After moving your Photos Library to an external hard drive, quit/reopen Photos with the option/alt key held down and make the external hard drive file the system Library. Once you are sure all your photos are there, you can delete the Library from the internal drive if desired. Once you do this, the external hard drive will need to be attached to access/sync your photos.

Article if for iPhoto, but the basics are the same.

Photos library - Move your Library to an external storage device.       

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 1:52 PM in response to LeslieQ

After moving your Photos Library to an external hard drive, quit/reopen Photos with the option/alt key held down and make the external hard drive file the system Library. Once you are sure all your photos are there, you can delete the Library from the internal drive if desired. Once you do this, the external hard drive will need to be attached to access/sync your photos.

Article if for iPhoto, but the basics are the same.

Photos library - Move your Library to an external storage device.       

Syncing external drive to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.