Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown error(-54)

Up to a few days ago I was able to rip a cd from an external drive to my iMac (Catalina v10.15.4) and add Artwork from a scanner .jpeg Format and change any of the field boxes in Get Info; but since then iTunes has become Music (v1.0.4.104) and every time I import a cd or music file I get this Unknown error (-54), artwork cannot be added and the Get Info fields can be changed but when you go OK it does not save/apply the changes.

I have rebooted into Safe Boot to auto clear any caches and found the external cd and drive do not work so could not test importing.

My temp work round is to use Windows Media Player on a laptop to rip cd’s to a USB stick, ad artwork and then, on the iMac, move the album from the USB to my music folder then import from their.

This is a backward step as I have been an Apple convert since 2007 with a MBP changing to an iMac last autumn only because the MBP being 13 yrs old could not handle any more updates to the IOS.

One thing I’ve never understand and it applies to both IOS and Window machines; is that it’s labelled ‘unknown Error’ when someone as programmed this entry to satisfy an event/s to generate the error!

If anyone can help with a fix or info on this error I will be very greatly appreciated

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 15, 2020 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 9:28 AM

Perhaps this article will help:

If you see error -54 when you sync with your computer - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Unknown error(-54)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.