Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faces in Photos

I have a issue with some photos in my Photos library where the people are named but the Face 'ring' is not on the faces. If I try and move it to the face it simply springs back to where it was. If I delete the offending circles and add a new one I move the circle to the face and again it springs back to where it was. It is apparent on a minority of photos and seem to be ones originally named in iPhotos

Any ideas on how to clear the problem please.

This is on a late 2013 Mac running up to date Catalina

Posted on May 15, 2020 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 9:10 AM

When the faces circles start jumping back to the center, I restart the Mac.

Have you tried that?

And have you tried to open the people album for the person in question and to confirm all waiting, unnamed faces by using the command "Confirm additional faces"? After confirming all additional faces I had less trouble with hidden faces and jumping faces circles.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 9:10 AM in response to M0ndayTuesday

When the faces circles start jumping back to the center, I restart the Mac.

Have you tried that?

And have you tried to open the people album for the person in question and to confirm all waiting, unnamed faces by using the command "Confirm additional faces"? After confirming all additional faces I had less trouble with hidden faces and jumping faces circles.

May 15, 2020 10:55 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for the reply. This issue has been running for a while now. It does not change with restart, 'confirm additional faces' or with Photos repair.

But your reply has given me a sudden idea. If I export 1 Photo to Desktop and then Import it back to Photos I can add metadata including Name. So several hundred to do - unless someone knows a quick way of achieving the same result.

May 16, 2020 4:49 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your help. I suspect that these files are the first I handled in iPhotos when I switched from PC to iMac iPhotos in 2014. Now I have a 'fix' I think I will just deal with them as I find them. I am currently having to revisit my Photos Library of 39000 items following what appears to be a loss of some Face metadata in a Library repair last week.

I will keep trying to find a quicker way and, if I find one, post it.

Thank you

Faces in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.