Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is possible to charge iPod Classic 2. generation with classic car charger?

Hi everyone! I would like to know if I can charge my old iPod Classic 2. generation (Model number: A1040) in my car through classic „cigarette lighter“. I lost original FireWire cable and the new one is so much more expensive than the car charger in „cigarette lighter“ to 30 pin.

Will it work or do I need ONLY original FireWire charger? Thank you for your answers and tips! :)

iPod Classic

Posted on May 15, 2020 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 3:15 PM

While this charger uses the 12V car outlet, it still transfers power over the USB bus. The USB technology is just integrated within the power adapter and does not present itself as the typical USB form factor.

Similar to how the FaceTime camera integrated into a MacBook would operate. To the system, the camera is just a typical USB camera however there is no user accessible USB port to connect this camera. It is the same concept with this car charger.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 3:15 PM in response to smeky

While this charger uses the 12V car outlet, it still transfers power over the USB bus. The USB technology is just integrated within the power adapter and does not present itself as the typical USB form factor.

Similar to how the FaceTime camera integrated into a MacBook would operate. To the system, the camera is just a typical USB camera however there is no user accessible USB port to connect this camera. It is the same concept with this car charger.

May 15, 2020 11:26 AM in response to smeky

Hello,

I am sorry, you cannot use this accessory to charge iPod classic (2nd or 3rd generation). iPod classic (2nd generation) still used a FireWire connector. iPod classic (3rd generation) (the device in the photo you supplied) used a special 30pin dock connector that split off into a FireWire 400 and USB connector. FireWire was used to supply power to the iPod while USB was used to transfer data. This car accessory supplies power over the USB bus into the 30-pin Dock connector which not only won’t charge this iPod, it will damage the iPod.

May 15, 2020 2:12 PM in response to QuickPost

Well voltage in my car is 12V and it is no USB charger - it is just charger from „cigarette lighter“ to 30 pin connector (as on the picture). So I don't see any reason why the iPod couldn't be charged. If people bought this iPod in 2003, couldn't they charge it while traveling in their car? That's weird...

I also create a topic on MacRumors.com and people are writing something else:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-possible-to-charge-ipod-classic-3-generation-with-classic-car-charger.2236194/?post=28470704#post-28470704

In my opinion, no one knows...

Is possible to charge iPod Classic 2. generation with classic car charger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.