Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a table in a pages document.

I used a table in a pages document. I chose "stay on the page" to centre the table but when I choose "move with text" the table moves. How do I stop the table from moving off centre?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2020 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 8:59 PM

Hi Cal,

The two settings mean what they say.

If you choose Stay on Page, the image is pinned to a specific location on the Page (or in the Section) and stays in a single location a fixed distance below and to the right of that pin.

If you choose Move with Text, the image is pinned to a specific location in the main text stream running through the document. If you add text above the image, change font size above the image or change margin settings above the image, the text below the change is going to get bigger, smaller, or be squeezed into a smaller space between the margins, pushing all the text below that change further down the document. The image, set to "Move with text," does as it is told.

That said, here's a way to keep the image centred left to right as it and the text are pushed down the page.

Here's the sample page as it appears before the change.

The page is set to Move with text, and the wrap setting is Inline with text.

Note the return character at the end of the 'paragraph' above the image, and the second return immediately below the image.

These put the image effectively in a 'paragraph' of it's own. Because the image is 'inline with text', it responds to text alignment settings.

Placing the insertion point between the right side of the image and to the left of the return character following the image, I went to the Text section of the format inspector and set alignment to Centred.

Adding more text above the image pushed it down the page (as expected), but did not change the left-right alignment.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 8:59 PM in response to smithcal53

Hi Cal,

The two settings mean what they say.

If you choose Stay on Page, the image is pinned to a specific location on the Page (or in the Section) and stays in a single location a fixed distance below and to the right of that pin.

If you choose Move with Text, the image is pinned to a specific location in the main text stream running through the document. If you add text above the image, change font size above the image or change margin settings above the image, the text below the change is going to get bigger, smaller, or be squeezed into a smaller space between the margins, pushing all the text below that change further down the document. The image, set to "Move with text," does as it is told.

That said, here's a way to keep the image centred left to right as it and the text are pushed down the page.

Here's the sample page as it appears before the change.

The page is set to Move with text, and the wrap setting is Inline with text.

Note the return character at the end of the 'paragraph' above the image, and the second return immediately below the image.

These put the image effectively in a 'paragraph' of it's own. Because the image is 'inline with text', it responds to text alignment settings.

Placing the insertion point between the right side of the image and to the left of the return character following the image, I went to the Text section of the format inspector and set alignment to Centred.

Adding more text above the image pushed it down the page (as expected), but did not change the left-right alignment.

Regards,

Barry

Using a table in a pages document.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.