Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How may one force Maps to stay in Light mode even when iOS is in Dark mode?

I expect the answer, “Can’t be done,” but I thought I’d ask. As a habit I use Dark mode. But Maps display in Dark mode is… er… substandard. I find that I must grab at the Control Center, enable Light mode, restart Maps, each time I want an acceptable Maps display (then grab at the Control Center and re-enable Dark mode when I’m finished with Maps): tedious. It would “just work” if I could have Maps *always* display in Light mode regardless of whether or not iOS is running in Dark mode. Possible?

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 15, 2020 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 3:32 PM

Dark mode is a system wide setting, so no, there is no way to set an individual app to ignore that setting.

You can suggest that option to Apple though -> https://www.apple.com/feedback/

4 replies

May 15, 2020 5:29 PM in response to F J Poblam

You’re very welcome, and I have never considered my time here wasted. This community helps a lot of folks with issues, me included. It’s why I’ve been here for the last two decades.

And Apple does read feedback, as evidenced by a number of user desired changes from the past so while you won’t get a response from Apple about feedback, they will see it. Maps is a problematic thing too, IMO. I have built in Nav in my car, but I turn off night mode when driving at night - so something developers need to think about with use of dark mode for the system.

How may one force Maps to stay in Light mode even when iOS is in Dark mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.