Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio routing through an imac

bass guitar>Presonus StudioLive24Riii (digital mixer)>USB>iMac (2018 Catalina 10.15.4)>Jamkazam.com (internet based mixer for bandmates to play together with little latency). The mix from Jamkazam should come back to the iMac and be audible through the speakers or headphones, or alternatively routed back to the mixer and be audible through the mixer's headphone jack. It is doing neither. I know the signal is getting to Jamkazam, my band mates can hear it - I can see the levels rise and fall on the meters of Jamkazam.com. Even more strangely, from the "sound menu" I can choose StudioLive 24R as the input. I can see the input level rise and fall, but no sound come out through the iMac or the headphone jack.

I need a wizard

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 15, 2020 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 2:55 PM

Josep_S and Brenden: As suggested I went back to Presonus, and despite a different title, they had a plan that almost got me there. Two keys: first you have to got into the iMac's Audio Midi settings (strange because this isn't "midi" per se) choose the presonus mixer as the output there, and then designate two channels on the Presonus to take the output from the iMac. Because the Presonus has a "Digital In" channel, and the Presonus recommendation, I designated channels 37 and 38 to take the outputs, and then configured the Digital In using Presonus' "Universal Control" software (I have the rack mounted version with no physical controls-its all changed on the computer) to listen (a) to the USB and (b) to channels 37 and 38. And it still didn't work. So we went back to the original output of the Jamkazam software, and determined that where Jamkazam was actually sending the signals was the closed door. We opened the door by specifically selecting channels 37 and 38 of the Presonus (which Jamkazam recognized through the iMac) in the Jamkazam software and had success.

One more point: my iMac is the most powerful computer of those used by my bandmates, and I think I have the fastest internet speed. But latency problems persist. The computer is not reading and writing audio as fast as it could (I think, or wish) so my latency is higher than it should be (again opinion). I am systematically shutting down everything but Jamkazam and Universal control before going to jamkazam so as to not have anything else taking computer effort. Any suggestions on making the machine read and write audio faster (or is it slower?) would be appreciated.

Second, and most importantly, to Apple: you guys should be all over this. Garage band is fine, I guess, I don't use it. I ventured into digital recording with cakewalk sonar before Gibson killed itself picking it up. But. It would be good if APPLE made it possible to for guys in Australia and Cleveland jam online, with almost no latency. Yes, buy the company, make it smoking hot. They are struggling down in Austin, with a noble effort at a gofundme account. Don't do what Gibson did for goodness sake,

But who could throw real coin at this and make it work?

Feel free to use the workout playing on Jamkazam using an iMac and a Presonus StudioLive 24Riii digital mixer.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 2:55 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Josep_S and Brenden: As suggested I went back to Presonus, and despite a different title, they had a plan that almost got me there. Two keys: first you have to got into the iMac's Audio Midi settings (strange because this isn't "midi" per se) choose the presonus mixer as the output there, and then designate two channels on the Presonus to take the output from the iMac. Because the Presonus has a "Digital In" channel, and the Presonus recommendation, I designated channels 37 and 38 to take the outputs, and then configured the Digital In using Presonus' "Universal Control" software (I have the rack mounted version with no physical controls-its all changed on the computer) to listen (a) to the USB and (b) to channels 37 and 38. And it still didn't work. So we went back to the original output of the Jamkazam software, and determined that where Jamkazam was actually sending the signals was the closed door. We opened the door by specifically selecting channels 37 and 38 of the Presonus (which Jamkazam recognized through the iMac) in the Jamkazam software and had success.

One more point: my iMac is the most powerful computer of those used by my bandmates, and I think I have the fastest internet speed. But latency problems persist. The computer is not reading and writing audio as fast as it could (I think, or wish) so my latency is higher than it should be (again opinion). I am systematically shutting down everything but Jamkazam and Universal control before going to jamkazam so as to not have anything else taking computer effort. Any suggestions on making the machine read and write audio faster (or is it slower?) would be appreciated.

Second, and most importantly, to Apple: you guys should be all over this. Garage band is fine, I guess, I don't use it. I ventured into digital recording with cakewalk sonar before Gibson killed itself picking it up. But. It would be good if APPLE made it possible to for guys in Australia and Cleveland jam online, with almost no latency. Yes, buy the company, make it smoking hot. They are struggling down in Austin, with a noble effort at a gofundme account. Don't do what Gibson did for goodness sake,

But who could throw real coin at this and make it work?

Feel free to use the workout playing on Jamkazam using an iMac and a Presonus StudioLive 24Riii digital mixer.

May 16, 2020 2:59 PM in response to BigDlittlea

Hi BigDlittlea,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you're having an issue with sound from a website though a mixer, and I'd like to do what I can to help.

I noticed that you checked the Input settings, however, for being able to hear though the Mac or headphones, that would be the Output settings.

You can follow the steps in this article to troubleshoot no sound from the Mac's internal speakers, to verify there is no issue with the Mac itself: Get help if the internal speakers on your Mac don't make sound

In your case, since you're working with a sound mixer, and there may be some custom settings involved, which can differ between speakers and headphones, I'd recommend contacting PreSonus Support.

Take care!

May 17, 2020 5:57 AM in response to brenden dv

Brendan let’s try again. The signals coming in from Jamkazam.com are no different than YouTube’s, or any other 3d party platform. It’s just that my iMac doesn’t see/hear them. Bass>digital mixer>USB to iMac>internet using Jamkazam app>signal sent back to the iMac.

To get the sound of my bass into the iMac I must choose the digital mixer as the input.

What does my iMac do with signal incoming from jamkazam over the internet when it already has a signal incoming from my bass/mixer???

May 20, 2020 9:26 AM in response to BigDlittlea

Hey BigDlittlea,

Thanks for the reply, we appreciate it!

If the iMac sound is working without any external devices, then the issue is isolated to the external equipment.

Digital mixing systems are very powerful, and it looks to be some setting(s) within the within the mixer or its software.

I'd highly recommend contacting the PreSonus Support we provided earlier, as that would be the best place for help.

Cheers!

audio routing through an imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.