Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad speakers disabled when attaching a mic?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I have an iPad Pro 2018 and would like to attach an external mic, but have the iPad speakers work. When I attach a USB-C microphone to it, the mic works as an input but the speakers stop working. Unplugging the mic brings the speakers back. Is there any way to specify (like in OSX) that the default speakers should be the iPad’s and sound input should be the attached microphone?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on May 15, 2020 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 12:30 PM

Results of tests using Apple TV 4th gen as iPad Pro's speaker.

I used air play to enable the Apple TV to be used as the iPad's speaker.

Heres the screen shot.

Next I connected the mic and here's the screen shot

I played around with listening to mic sounds by starting a Zoom meeting with myself. I was logged in on my MBA and the other on my iPad. Each in separate rooms.

I could hear my voice (on the iPad using the external mic) coming through to the MBA. I could also hear the music playing on my MBA (in a different room) over the Apple TV that was next to my iPad. Even better, the Apple TV is connected via BT to a soundbox speaker so it was a quality sound.

I needed to unplug the mic in order to use the iPad to regulate the speaker volume of the Apple TV. (I didn't think to try using the Apple TV remote.)

I did try listening on my MBA to see if there was a voice clarity difference. There was. The external mic was much clearer than the iPad internal mic.

So it appears for now, the only external speaker that will work for an iPad Pro with a connected external mic is an Apple TV.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 12:30 PM in response to SandiMacD

Results of tests using Apple TV 4th gen as iPad Pro's speaker.

I used air play to enable the Apple TV to be used as the iPad's speaker.

Heres the screen shot.

Next I connected the mic and here's the screen shot

I played around with listening to mic sounds by starting a Zoom meeting with myself. I was logged in on my MBA and the other on my iPad. Each in separate rooms.

I could hear my voice (on the iPad using the external mic) coming through to the MBA. I could also hear the music playing on my MBA (in a different room) over the Apple TV that was next to my iPad. Even better, the Apple TV is connected via BT to a soundbox speaker so it was a quality sound.

I needed to unplug the mic in order to use the iPad to regulate the speaker volume of the Apple TV. (I didn't think to try using the Apple TV remote.)

I did try listening on my MBA to see if there was a voice clarity difference. There was. The external mic was much clearer than the iPad internal mic.

So it appears for now, the only external speaker that will work for an iPad Pro with a connected external mic is an Apple TV.

May 16, 2020 10:43 AM in response to Iswearicant_figre

I was just about to post this problem. I ordered the external microphone for use with the Zoom app on my iPad Pro. I tested it out and the clarity of my voice recording and transmission is amazing.

So then I made a Zoom meeting test only to discover that I cannot hear the other person. The iPad mutes the internal speaker sound when a mic is connected.

I have been researching solutions for the past 3 days. The microphone company offered to send me a free splitter instead of returning the mic to them. But in order to use the splitter I would need to buy a corded headset. Which seem to be rare and expensive.

The other option I am looking at are gaming headsets. But I really like the quality and mic controls built into the external mic I purchased. It also has an extension cord and solves natural ambient and wind sound problems when I use my iPad outdoors to record.

So that got me to thinking about using my external mic in the iPad's jack and trying to use BT speakers for sound. No dice. At least not yet.

I am going test set up of connecting the mic in the iPad Pro's jack and see if the sound will be enabled in a wired speaker (both on the splitter).

I need to dig though my boxes of "stuff" and see if I can locate a splitter. If not, I guess I will ask the mic company to send me the free one they offered.

I cannot believe our situation is so hard to solve. Surlely others are interested in improving sound during virtual meetings in iPad apps by using an external mic to transmit sound and a quality headset to receive sounds from others who are in the meeting.

And before someone suggests apple air pods- no. I have tried them and gave them to my son. They are uncomfortable and I can't tolerate anything like that hanging in/on my ear. I tried over the ear buds from another company and I can't get used to them either.

I like the traditional acoustic headphones that block out room sounds and are cushioned and comfortable to wear. I had a pair but I ended up giving them to away 3 years ago not realizing I would need them again.

Let's hope this splitter works...

May 16, 2020 11:32 AM in response to SandiMacD

I am including some interesting screen shots of my iPad Pro. It has one input Jack.

This image captures what is going on if I use an external BT speaker. I can hear the sound from a person talking to me on the BT app. The iPad stills allows transmission to that person over the iPads internal mic.

Even though the BT device is a Speaker, the iPad lists it under Headphones. I cannot find anything in the iOS system to enable me to configure the BT Tribit Stormbox speaker to reflect that it is indeed a speaker.

Now for the next screenshot.

I used the iPad Pro's jack input to connect Lavalier mic. As soon as I did that, the BT soundbox stopped playing. It still shows in the menu as being connected but there is no way it can function as a speaker for the iPad now.

That same screen shows "Headphones" connected even though they aren't. As I said earlier, I do not own headphones. What is connected is my external mic.

Which has got me to thinking. I have multiple apple TVs. Perhaps I can send the iPad's sound to one of the Apple TVs. They have internal speakers. The Apple TV might act as my iPad's speaker and still allow me to connect the mic using the iPad's "headphone" input jack. That is going to be my next experiment.

It would be nice if I didn't have to wear any headset. I would like to listen to the other person in the meeting over speakers of some sort and talk to them via the external, higher quality mic.

May 16, 2020 5:06 PM in response to SandiMacD

I just completed a test with the splitter. Yes, it did let me use the iPads input Jack to use both a mic and a speaker. I tested the voice quality with and without the microphone plugged into the splitter. I wasn't sure if the splitter would degrade the quality in anyway.

It didn't. My voice remained clear.

So if you are able to locate a speaker that can be connected into a Y splitter, that would be an option for allowing you to use you mic and not have to use a headset with built in mic.

Of note, I learned today that my MBA has the same problem. It only has one input jack so if I connect my mic, the internal speaker doesn't work unless I use the Y splitter or use Air Play to the Apple TV.

May 16, 2020 9:17 PM in response to SandiMacD

Another solution but it would not let you use your available mic. I just discovered a "softphone" speaker for conference calls and music. I'm sold on the Jabra 710 model. The price has jumped since C19 but still reasonable by the time I add up the cost of comparable "music" speakers and HD voice equipment.

It can answer calls, play music, transit conference calls and act as mic for voice recordings. Has a BT range of 100 ft on laptop and 30 ft on iPhone/iPad. Two can be paired for stereo sound. They will play while recharging. It also comes with USB connection to computer if that is preferred. There are less expensive models that will work for voice calls/conference calls over iPhone/iPad but they are not music quality. I need voice clarity, music quality and HD voice mic. This fits the bill.

https://tech-mag.co.uk/jabra-speak-710-portable-speakerphone-tech-mag-reviews/

I am thinking it will prove useful as a stand alone BT speaker for our home gym with Apple TV. Convenient with iPad BT for music or with Apple TV BT for clearer dialogue for hubby who is hard of hearing. He could place this speaker next to his bike instead of turning the TV volume up across the room. It has a feature called "sharing" which means, if enabled, it won't automatically connect to a previously paired device. This is useful so my hubby and I can both use it for our various devices without the hassel of going into iOS settings to "forget this device".

iPad speakers disabled when attaching a mic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.