Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome always crashes on Startup

Today Google Chrome crashed.

Since then I cannot open it any more.

When I try to open, it says "do you want to reload the sites you had open"?

And crashes.

I have re-installed Chrome, but the same result - I cannot open Google Chrome.

I don't want to lose my bookmarks - which is why I haven't yet deleted the Chrome folder in Application support/Google.

Why is it always crashing? What can I do make this browser work again. I have all my bookmarks on that browser.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 15, 2020 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 4:04 PM

Brave should've had or been able to import bookmarks.

Have you tried FireFox yet?

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 4:04 PM in response to Ocean 17

Brave should've had or been able to import bookmarks.

Have you tried FireFox yet?

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

May 16, 2020 8:20 AM in response to Ocean 17

Nobody?

I cannot even import my bookmarks into other browsers.

I have a full backup of my HD and tried to find that Library/Application Support/Google folder, but it's not there. It's that Library that you can only access by holding the option key. I wonder if there's a trick to access the backup copy of this folder on an external hard drive.

May 16, 2020 10:27 AM in response to Ocean 17

I installed the Brave browser and noticed I could not import my bookmarks from Google Chrome.

The crash happened when I was checking receipts on my banking website. You get those alerts "Do you want to continue the session" I clicked "yes" twice and continued, then the crash happened.

I think Chrome killed itself on my banking website and now it can no longer be installed, as new installations also crash.

May 17, 2020 4:41 PM in response to BDAqua

I have moved on to the Brave browser.

It's an excellent browser that protects my privacy.

The loss of all bookmarks is likely to be a good thing like an extreme form of spring cleaning. Incredible how seldom you look at bookmarks anyway.

I was very busy this weekend with work and will give the resurrection of Chrome another try this week.

To save a few of the bookmarks.

But I'll definitely move off this Big Brother data thief to the private Brave Browser.

Google Chrome always crashes on Startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.