Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2020 freezing and slowing down

Hello there my MBA often just hangs up, even my older 2016 MBP didn't it nearly this often.

I heard Catalina 15.4 had some problems, so I thought it could be that, but I wasn't transferring a any files and it still does it.

Im seriously thinking of returning or selling it, as I just can't use it for anything.

And yes, I still have 200+ gb free space and I even got the 16GB RAM version.

Any ideas what it could be?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 4:53 PM

Hello Asargon,

You have a very good machine setup. Before you consider selling it or returning it, how about a little bit of troubleshooting?

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the freezing issue still exists. What safe mode does is that it does not preload background apps except the essential apps and that helps you determine whether it is a background app causing the freezing. Safe Mode also clears some cache files that are not needed for normal operation. Sign out of Safe Mode and then turn off your computer. Turn your computer back on and sign in normally. If after logging in normally does not solve the issue then-
  4. Open System Preferences ➔ Users & Groups ➔ Login Items - These are the items are loaded during startup in the background. Take a picture of the screen and post it here so that we can see what they are and then we can recommend which items to uncheck during next startup to see if one or more of those items is affecting the performance of your MacBook Air.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 4:53 PM in response to Asargon

Hello Asargon,

You have a very good machine setup. Before you consider selling it or returning it, how about a little bit of troubleshooting?

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the freezing issue still exists. What safe mode does is that it does not preload background apps except the essential apps and that helps you determine whether it is a background app causing the freezing. Safe Mode also clears some cache files that are not needed for normal operation. Sign out of Safe Mode and then turn off your computer. Turn your computer back on and sign in normally. If after logging in normally does not solve the issue then-
  4. Open System Preferences ➔ Users & Groups ➔ Login Items - These are the items are loaded during startup in the background. Take a picture of the screen and post it here so that we can see what they are and then we can recommend which items to uncheck during next startup to see if one or more of those items is affecting the performance of your MacBook Air.

Axel F.

MacBook Air 2020 freezing and slowing down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.