Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 Macbook Pro - Very Loud Fan

My brand new 2020 Macbook Pro 13" is running the fan very loudly even when just using one app at a time. I have 16gb ram and 10th gen processor. Is this normal!?

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on May 16, 2020 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 9:02 AM

Try an SMC reset.

If the charger is plugged into the left side, then try using the charger on the right side.

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

If you still have issues, then run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

4 replies

May 25, 2020 3:49 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the tips.

I'm seeing the same overactive fans on a MacBook Pro 16in when doing what I'd consider to be fairly trivial tasks. I expect a lot of fan activity when rendering video etc but this doesn't seem proportional to the task in progress.

I'd tried the SMC reset with no change.

I usually charge through a CalDigit TS3+ dock on the left hand side and it usually has several devices connected to it.

Unplugging it seems to result in a lot less fan activity. A quick try of lugging it into the right hand side seems to be about half way between the two. I will try a bit of swapping an elimination to see what, if anything, helps.

May 25, 2020 10:53 PM in response to ssadam

ssadam wrote:

is it safe to run EtreCheck?

why can't Apple answer to this question?

Apple is not here on these forums. We are just other users such as yourself trying to help out.

EtreCheck was created by a well respected community member so that users could post details of their Apple systems safely with any personal information being sanitized in the report. I've personally used it on multiple systems without any side effects. It is a great tool.

2020 Macbook Pro - Very Loud Fan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.