Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering old iMovie 9 events and projects

After many years I was able to recover my old iMovie '11 events and projects from a failed hard drive. The files are fine and I can play the 'clips' in the various event folders in the Finder.

I tried to make iMovie 10 import them through the "Update Projects and Events..." command in the "Files" menu, but iMovie returned an error:

"iMovie could not find any projects or events to update."

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 16, 2020 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 9:34 AM

What did the error message say?

Open your iMovie Projects folder and iMovie Events folder. If you see a marker in there that says "updatedtoiMovie10" then delete it and try the update process again with iMovie 10.

Where are your iMovie Projects folder and iMovie Events folders located? If they are on your internal drive, make sure that they are in the Movies folder. If they are on an external drive, make sure that they are stored at the root level of the drive, i.e, not in any other folder.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 9:34 AM in response to Hilal Malawi

What did the error message say?

Open your iMovie Projects folder and iMovie Events folder. If you see a marker in there that says "updatedtoiMovie10" then delete it and try the update process again with iMovie 10.

Where are your iMovie Projects folder and iMovie Events folders located? If they are on your internal drive, make sure that they are in the Movies folder. If they are on an external drive, make sure that they are stored at the root level of the drive, i.e, not in any other folder.

-- Rich

Recovering old iMovie 9 events and projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.