Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homekit and Apple TV

Been trying to connect my Apple TV 4K and my iOS Home phone app for about a year.

On the Apple TV, when you click on Homekit, it says to unlock the iPhone, turn on Bluetooth and bring it closer to the Apple TV. That doesn't work. The iPhone and the Apple TV are both signed into my iCloud account, and are both on the same network.

I tried doing it via the Home app, but my Apple TV is mounted in a niche in the wall behind my TV, so I would have to remove my TV to access the QR code or 8-digit Homekit code - unless there is a way to get that 8-digit code without seeing the physical device...

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on May 16, 2020 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 2:24 PM

When you say step 2 does not happen. The ATV isn’t showing in the Home App? Or is it there and not showing as “connected”? Other devices will take turns showing as “connected” while others will be on “standby”.

Please make sure the following has been done, in the order listed. You can look at the Home App in between each step to see if it’s there:

• You must be using  two-factor authentication for your Apple ID.
  • Update all software on your Apple TV and the latest version of iOS on your device.
  • On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Users and Accounts - sign out - sign back in
  • On your IOS Device - Settings - Your name (at the top) - iCloud - scroll down to make sure Home is enabled- if it was, toggle it off, then back on again.
  • In the same iCloud settings , make sure Keychain is turned on
  • Bluetooth is turn on for all devices.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 2:24 PM in response to Tim Herlihy

When you say step 2 does not happen. The ATV isn’t showing in the Home App? Or is it there and not showing as “connected”? Other devices will take turns showing as “connected” while others will be on “standby”.

Please make sure the following has been done, in the order listed. You can look at the Home App in between each step to see if it’s there:

• You must be using  two-factor authentication for your Apple ID.
  • Update all software on your Apple TV and the latest version of iOS on your device.
  • On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Users and Accounts - sign out - sign back in
  • On your IOS Device - Settings - Your name (at the top) - iCloud - scroll down to make sure Home is enabled- if it was, toggle it off, then back on again.
  • In the same iCloud settings , make sure Keychain is turned on
  • Bluetooth is turn on for all devices.

May 19, 2020 1:26 AM in response to Tim Herlihy

Set up Apple TV as a home hub

1. On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Users and Accounts and make sure that you're signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID as your iOS device.
  2. After you sign in to iCloud, your Apple TV automatically sets itself up as a home hub. 

To see if your Apple TV is connected as a home hub, go to Settings on your Apple TV. Then go to Users and Accounts > iCloud and look under Home Hub.

it should then show up in the Home App - You don’t need to get at the back of your Apple TV Box

Set up your HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

May 20, 2020 6:15 PM in response to Vancouver22

Thank you for laying it out like that.

I completed all the steps, in both posts, and still nothing appears in Home. I actually got a new wifi modem today, so it was rebooted.

The one thing I saw is that in Network on the ATV, it says the connection is "Ethernet" and does not give the name of my network (the Apple TV is hardwired to my wireless router, so I'm assuming they're on the same network, though I may be assuming wrong).

This is the screen that is giving me fits - no mater how much I toggle Bluetooth on and off and wave my phone near the ATV, it never changes.

May 20, 2020 7:58 PM in response to Tim Herlihy

For today you can try installing the latest software update on your iPhone. Install iOS 13.5.. See also if the ATV has a new update. I’m not near mine right now to look.

Make sure your phone isn’t locking because it’s taking too long!

I’m using wifi on mine so I can’t compare, but yes it does need to be on the same network. Does your wifi show up on Apple TV to use? If so use it and make sure your phone is as well.

You can also try a soft reset on your phone’s network, from the control Center: turn ON Airplane mode, wait until the wifi & cellular are showing as off, then turn Airplane mode back OFF.

May 21, 2020 3:19 PM in response to Vancouver22

There is an Apple TV update, and neither it nor the soft reset solved my problem.

The good news is the Apple TV update at least got rid of the angry red alert badge that prompted me to enable Airplay 2.

Next week I'm going to remove the TV to gain access to the Apple TV. I will detach the ethernet cable, have it connect via wifi, and hopefully that will do the trick. If not, not sure what else to try.

May 21, 2020 3:31 PM in response to Tim Herlihy

Tim Herlihy wrote:
Next week I'm going to remove the TV to gain access to the Apple TV. I will detach the ethernet cable, have it connect via wifi, and hopefully that will do the trick. If not, not sure what else to try.

Hopefully this should work and if you connect your iPhone to the same wifi network. Seems like you’ve completed all the other requirements.

Good luck!

Homekit and Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.