Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do iMessage work as "free" sms while messaging someone while connected on WiFi?

I am using iMessage between iphone users. However, my question is;

If I use it to message a mobile from a user who is abroad (so as SMS): is it free, providing I am connected on a WiFi ?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on May 16, 2020 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 12:30 PM

iMessage is a free service from Apple where both sender and receiver must be using Apple devices. iMessage is an internet messaging service and needs a connection to the internet, be it WiFi or a cellular data connection. As long as the data connection is free, iMessage is free as Apple charges nothing for the service, but Apple isn’t providing your connection to the internet.

If a message is being sent as SMS, then it is not using Apple’s proprietary iMessage service at all, nor is it using the internet at all. SMS and MMS messages are handled by your cellular telephone service provider. SMS messages are sent over unused bandwidth in your cell phone’s cellular voice telephone connection, and MMS data is sent over your cellular data connection, both provided by your cellular service provider. To send or receive SMS messages you have to have a messaging plan with your carrier or pay by the message. Apple has nothing to do with the transmission or delivery of SMS messages. SMS and MMS was developed by the cell phone service providers and uses their hardware. As a technology, it also predates the existence of the internet.

The iOS message app handles iMessages and SMS and MMS, but when you click “send” only iMessages are handled by Apple, and others go through your carrier.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 12:30 PM in response to vincenzo_ita

iMessage is a free service from Apple where both sender and receiver must be using Apple devices. iMessage is an internet messaging service and needs a connection to the internet, be it WiFi or a cellular data connection. As long as the data connection is free, iMessage is free as Apple charges nothing for the service, but Apple isn’t providing your connection to the internet.

If a message is being sent as SMS, then it is not using Apple’s proprietary iMessage service at all, nor is it using the internet at all. SMS and MMS messages are handled by your cellular telephone service provider. SMS messages are sent over unused bandwidth in your cell phone’s cellular voice telephone connection, and MMS data is sent over your cellular data connection, both provided by your cellular service provider. To send or receive SMS messages you have to have a messaging plan with your carrier or pay by the message. Apple has nothing to do with the transmission or delivery of SMS messages. SMS and MMS was developed by the cell phone service providers and uses their hardware. As a technology, it also predates the existence of the internet.

The iOS message app handles iMessages and SMS and MMS, but when you click “send” only iMessages are handled by Apple, and others go through your carrier.

May 26, 2020 12:18 PM in response to apfelkopf

Thanks for the replay. To be honest I wish I knew more about this.

I have stopped using iMessage to send SMS across the board (to Italy) as I do not want to find myself with an unpleasant surprise and pay for silly SMS I could have send differently.

PS: I checked the bill and in fact I did pay for those SMS sent. It must have used the normal SMS rate despite having the other operator on WiFi. (SMS are quite obsolete now to be honest, I do not get how all providers don't allow free messaging).

Thing is, I wanted to reduce the number of Apps used for communicating and stick with SMS / iMessage if possible.

Do iMessage work as "free" sms while messaging someone while connected on WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.