Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horizontal lines after usage Macbook pro 13 touchbar 2016

Hi,

It is great to be in this community.

I have issue with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports). After using few hours horizontal lines appears at bottom of screen. at first very few lines appear but by time of usage it gets worsened. I noticed after 5-6 hours usage horizontal lines appear and when I shut down for 1-2 hours it disappears, if I make it 15 min shut down or sleep, lines of appearance time also shortened. I screenshot the screen so it doesn't seems gpu problem. I didn't drop it and have no physical damage. I go to apple they said need to replace the screen which is around 500$. Any answer appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 1:14 AM

This issue is clearly due to defective parts or bad design choices. My Macbook Pro 2017 13'' with touch bar started showing this problem after two and a half years of usage. This thread here is huge and full of complaints by dozens of apple customers: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/510833/Horizontal+lines+on+top+and+bottom+screen

Four months ago the problem started appearing and I tried to stop using the computer as soon as I could so it would not worsen. This is how it started:

Very subtle, huh?

After four months and some sessions were I couldn't stop using it (due to important work and virtual meeting I was participating), the problem now have worsen. The more I keep using it, the more lines start going dark and, eventually, totally desynchronizing and displaying only white. This is how it looks like now (if I keep using it some time - one or two hours - after the first black lines appear):

Quiet ugly, huh? These white lines can't display the screen content properly anymore. Luckily, until now it all goes back to normal after leaving it sleeping for 3-4 hours (it is not necessary to turn it down). If I try to use it sooner, these white lines are still somewhat present, but the screen can partly update the pixels. Also, the faster I start using it again, the faster the lines appear again. When I leave it sleeping for enough time, I can use it for some 1-4 hours before seeing the first lines (depends on GPU usage, I guess).

I have noted that if I use it over a support that allow air to circulate below it the problem takes longer to appear. But it will always appear after long usage, even if you are just watching videos. Another thing someone said in the thread above is that if you put ice behind the notebook screen (in the bottom, were the lines appear), they disappear almost instantly. It does, I tried it. But only to reappear seconds later after removing the ice. So it does look like it is a thermal issue.

People have pointed out that this is a design flaw, that the TCON board that is responsible for synchronization and refresh of the horizontal lines in the screen (as I understood) was placed just over the air exhauster, so the hot air is probably overheating the board and causing this issue. I'm not sure if this explain the whole problem. Right now, if I put ice behind my screen the black lines disappear but the first lines from bottom screen still show strange behavior, like mixing the current visual content with the last content it have been displaying. So it looks like it is not just temperature. I MUST wait several hours before the screen goes back to normal. Trying to make the whole computer cool faster does not solve the problem, the white lines burned with the last content keep showing and the black lines come back way faster if you do not wait enough time.

I did not take the Macbook to Apple Service, since we are in the middle of a pandemic, but I intend to do so. I hope they will consider this what it really is - a factory/design problem - and give me warranty exception and find out a way to fix it so it won't appear even if I use my Macbook at maximum performance. By the amount of people complaining, I do think Apple should start a Repair Service Program for this issue. I'm not even sure if I would pay for a replacement, since some people have described that the problem appeared again some weeks later after replacing the screen.

I have bought a PROFESSIONAL computer with max specs so I could work and program without performance issues. It has been incredibly frustrating to find out that my computer can't compile a code, install code packages or even play a movie without showing these ugly lines that keep reminding me I must turn it down and stop working or having fun. Not to even mention the keyboard keys that are always failing (at least there is a service program for this). I'm "lucky" I still have my old 2010 Mackbook Pro that I can use to - kind of - do the work I need when my 2017 'Monster' Macbook needs to sleep. If it wasn't for it, I would be forced to keep using it and I'm not sure what can happen if I ignore the white lines of death when they appear.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 1:14 AM in response to haknazar

This issue is clearly due to defective parts or bad design choices. My Macbook Pro 2017 13'' with touch bar started showing this problem after two and a half years of usage. This thread here is huge and full of complaints by dozens of apple customers: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/510833/Horizontal+lines+on+top+and+bottom+screen

Four months ago the problem started appearing and I tried to stop using the computer as soon as I could so it would not worsen. This is how it started:

Very subtle, huh?

After four months and some sessions were I couldn't stop using it (due to important work and virtual meeting I was participating), the problem now have worsen. The more I keep using it, the more lines start going dark and, eventually, totally desynchronizing and displaying only white. This is how it looks like now (if I keep using it some time - one or two hours - after the first black lines appear):

Quiet ugly, huh? These white lines can't display the screen content properly anymore. Luckily, until now it all goes back to normal after leaving it sleeping for 3-4 hours (it is not necessary to turn it down). If I try to use it sooner, these white lines are still somewhat present, but the screen can partly update the pixels. Also, the faster I start using it again, the faster the lines appear again. When I leave it sleeping for enough time, I can use it for some 1-4 hours before seeing the first lines (depends on GPU usage, I guess).

I have noted that if I use it over a support that allow air to circulate below it the problem takes longer to appear. But it will always appear after long usage, even if you are just watching videos. Another thing someone said in the thread above is that if you put ice behind the notebook screen (in the bottom, were the lines appear), they disappear almost instantly. It does, I tried it. But only to reappear seconds later after removing the ice. So it does look like it is a thermal issue.

People have pointed out that this is a design flaw, that the TCON board that is responsible for synchronization and refresh of the horizontal lines in the screen (as I understood) was placed just over the air exhauster, so the hot air is probably overheating the board and causing this issue. I'm not sure if this explain the whole problem. Right now, if I put ice behind my screen the black lines disappear but the first lines from bottom screen still show strange behavior, like mixing the current visual content with the last content it have been displaying. So it looks like it is not just temperature. I MUST wait several hours before the screen goes back to normal. Trying to make the whole computer cool faster does not solve the problem, the white lines burned with the last content keep showing and the black lines come back way faster if you do not wait enough time.

I did not take the Macbook to Apple Service, since we are in the middle of a pandemic, but I intend to do so. I hope they will consider this what it really is - a factory/design problem - and give me warranty exception and find out a way to fix it so it won't appear even if I use my Macbook at maximum performance. By the amount of people complaining, I do think Apple should start a Repair Service Program for this issue. I'm not even sure if I would pay for a replacement, since some people have described that the problem appeared again some weeks later after replacing the screen.

I have bought a PROFESSIONAL computer with max specs so I could work and program without performance issues. It has been incredibly frustrating to find out that my computer can't compile a code, install code packages or even play a movie without showing these ugly lines that keep reminding me I must turn it down and stop working or having fun. Not to even mention the keyboard keys that are always failing (at least there is a service program for this). I'm "lucky" I still have my old 2010 Mackbook Pro that I can use to - kind of - do the work I need when my 2017 'Monster' Macbook needs to sleep. If it wasn't for it, I would be forced to keep using it and I'm not sure what can happen if I ignore the white lines of death when they appear.

May 16, 2020 7:07 PM in response to haknazar

Hello Haknazar,

That indeed appears to be a hardware related issue and, as Apple mentioned, it can be related to the screen or the GPU. It may also be caused by the cable used to connect the GPU to the screen.

Connect an external monitor. If that shows a good picture you know it is most likely your LCD panel that needs replacing. If the external monitor is showing the same issues, you have issues with the GPU on the logic board.

The best way to determine what is causing the issue is to have it examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Serviced center.

Axel F.

Jun 6, 2020 7:34 AM in response to haknazar

I have same problem with my MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2016. After i start using there occurs black horizontal lines bottom side of screen. the more i use, the more lines occurs. when I shut the MacBook down for 1 hour, the lines totally disappear. it started one week ago and getting worse day by day. many users complain about same problem on the internet. My guarantee period has expired. apple should admit that this is a manufacture defect and start a service program. we pay a lot of money for MacBook Pro and it's not fair that we spend 500 dollars more to replace the screen.

May 16, 2020 8:32 PM in response to haknazar

More than likely it is a LCD related issue. You can get that confirmed when you get a chance to connect your MacBook to an external monitor.

If may get worse as time and usage elapses however in the end it will be the same part that is failing. You can wait till it completely gets unbearable OR address it now. Work out the differences between costs of repair and a new MacBook and make the decision. Try third party repair shops as well to save costs if possible.

Axel F.

May 19, 2020 12:50 PM in response to haknazar

I experienced this too recently. For the first time I used my Macbook pro 2016 for 8 hours straight. I also used it while charging, I remember my screen was on a 90 degree angle (I don't know if that might be one of the reasons) then suddenly right before I shutdown I noticed this lines appearing. When I used it the next day it function normally like nothing happened. But after 5 hours of using, the lines started to appear. I was searching what might be the probable cause until I found this question of yours. Is this a product or model problem or something? I just got this laptop 2 years ago. I didn't drop it as far as I can remember. I thought of purchasing a cooling pad thinking that my laptop got overheat. Did you decide to send it for repair already? or just wait until it get worse?

May 22, 2020 1:55 AM in response to zellezap10

Hi,

I am still waiting until it gets worse because I don't now maybe apple will acknowledge the issue. If many Macbook pro 2016 has the same issue they probably will. My another concern is Macbook pro 2016 has backlight issue so even if I fixed the screen and then there another issue I face. I think I will wait until backlight issue come up also then will be fixed.

May 25, 2020 2:26 AM in response to zellezap10

Hi,

My MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) is eligible as I know and the short answer is not it is not the flexgate problem as they said to me. When I ask what makes this problem they seemed to refuse to tell by repeating horizontal lines. Where I live service costs 500$. Can anybody test their mac if after how many hours this problem occurs? It might be a built-in problem.

May 26, 2020 12:39 PM in response to haknazar

Hello Haknazar,

Recently, I bought a Kootek Laptop Cooling Pad in Amazon. I thought that it helps in preventing the horizontal lines to show up. I also downloaded mac fan control to monitor the temperature. And whenever my laptop reaches 40 degrees I start to open the fan. Seems to help the issue but I am not really sure if this will fix the problem in the long run. But for now it does the job and I used my laptop for 6 hours straight already without the horizontal lines appearing.

Jul 10, 2020 8:48 AM in response to haknazar

Hi All,

I have exactly the same issue with my 2017 MBP Touch Bar 13 inch retina model. There are few horizontal lines seen after couple of hours of normal daily usage at the bottom of display. Pure normal usage with no extra load and I can notice the lines pop up within 2-3 hrs nowadays. I need to shut down the MBP for 30 mins for getting rid of these lines now. I did some reading on web and it seems like a very common issue with all 2016,17 MBP models due to faulty design of T-CON board sitting just next to heat fins getting warmed up leading to display synchronisation issues. I am amazed that Apple has not designed any free service program with such a common issue inspite of many users complaining about it. A twitter user has started a campaign on twitter with same problem and I hope everyone re-tweets that to ensure Apple hears about our failing MBPs. The solution is to replace the whole display assembly as T-CON board is part of it.

https://twitter.com/ThakkarRaghav/status/1278684238888308737?s=19

Horizontal lines after usage Macbook pro 13 touchbar 2016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.