Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Decent Template in Pages for a Greeting Card!!!!!!!!

Spent countless hours trying to figure out why my side to side or flip up greeting cards don't print in correct page format. When I thought it was corrected with Apple person, it was not. It seems I need a DUPLEX printer as the agent insisted was the problem! Really! I have an HP Envy Photo 7155. I even tried double sided in print box, like suggested, It does not work.

So when you buy a greeting card, the front has a picture, the third page (right) side has printing...Well when I print side to side it comes out on last page (where the price of the card should be. OR if I do a flip up and fold it, you do not see the first page when you pull out of an envelope. come on developers, make a greeting card template that works with a regular printer. As stated, your apple agent printed it but he had a duplex printer. Someone help!

Posted on May 16, 2020 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 6:50 AM

Hi Bryan,

Barry wrote:
Your Print dialogue should have one of more pop-up menus, and some menu items may have submenus as well. Have you explored them.?

This is my print dialogue (your print dialogue may vary, depending upon which printer you are using):

Click on the Pop-Up Menu 'Pages' to see this:

Choose 'Layout' to see

Then you can choose Short-Edge binding or Long-Edge binding.

Short-Edge binding worked for me to create a greeting card from a Two-Sided landscape printout folded in half

Please explore your printer's dialogue!

Regards,

Ian.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 6:50 AM in response to bryanevie

Hi Bryan,

Barry wrote:
Your Print dialogue should have one of more pop-up menus, and some menu items may have submenus as well. Have you explored them.?

This is my print dialogue (your print dialogue may vary, depending upon which printer you are using):

Click on the Pop-Up Menu 'Pages' to see this:

Choose 'Layout' to see

Then you can choose Short-Edge binding or Long-Edge binding.

Short-Edge binding worked for me to create a greeting card from a Two-Sided landscape printout folded in half

Please explore your printer's dialogue!

Regards,

Ian.

May 18, 2020 8:54 PM in response to bryanevie

Hi Bryan.

A screen shot showing your Print dialogue is pretty easy:

• Set the screen to show what you want to post.
  • Place the pointer at the top left corner of the area you want to include in the shot.
  • Press shift-command-4

The pointer will change from an arrow to a crosshairs symbol.

• Press and hold the mouse button, and drag the crosshairs to the lower right corner of the area you want to capture.
  • Release the mouse button.

You'll hear a camera click.

Your screen shot will be saved to your Desktop as a .png file with the name screenshot, followed by the date and time when you 'clicked the shutter.'

To post the picture here:

• Place the insertion point where you want the image to appear.
  • Click the 'mountains' icon in the row below the compose box.
  • Locate and double click the most recent 'screen shot' file.
  • You'll be returned to your message, and after a short pause, the image will appear.
  • Continue composing your post.
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What results did you get using Ian's test document? Answers to that showing the thumbnaila of the two pages, and a description of where, and in what orientation, each box appeared on the card when printed and folded will provide information that could help in detrmining how to create a card without relying on the template.

Regards,

Barry

May 17, 2020 6:42 AM in response to bryanevie

The Template Chooser in Pages offers three templates for 'single fold' cards (in Pages 5—later versions may offer the same or more).

The cards contain an image container and a text boxes for the inside text and text on the front. These contain placeholder text and images which disappear when you past or type in your 'real' text.

Now this is where the problem comes in: On the vertical one, I can't get the print to come in on the third page (right side) and on the flip one (shows gift boxes) I can't get the print to come on top page before you flip open. I tried everything loading different ways in my printer. 2 sided does not work. Now, I was told my printer had to be a DUPLEX PRINTER, I HAVE AN HP PHOTOSMART 7155. Help Is this true?

May 17, 2020 8:17 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Bryan,

Try this.

Starting with this template,

Delete the contents of the template, and insert your own content, such as

Tested in Pages 10.0 (this may also work in earlier versions of Pages).

Tested by printing double sided.

I think that the key is Layout > Two-sided and Short-Edge binding

I tested this on my printer. I can fold the double-sided card (printed in landscape format) to fold horizontally (left to right) into a greeting card.

Regards,

Ian.

May 16, 2020 11:28 PM in response to bryanevie

Hi Bryan,

You wrote "your apple agent…"

ASC is a group of user-to user communities. The people participating here are users of the software and hardware being discussed. Apple's participation, as you have no doubt read in the current Terms of Use, is minimal. That participation does not include Apple leadership, nor does it include members of the development team(s) for Apple software.

"We" (the users of the software under discussion) do not have an "agent," nor do we have a direct connection with Apple or its 'agents.'

The use of eight (!) exclamation points is a fairly strong indication that your post is a rant, rather than a question, and does not expect a response. If that is not the case, please re-post with your question, and without the rhetoric.

Regards,

Barry

May 17, 2020 1:53 PM in response to bryanevie

Hi Bryan,

(And good morning, Ian),

"Duplex printer" is just another term for a printer supporting printing to both sides of a single sheet of paper in a single operation.

According to the HP website, your HP 7100 series printer does do 2-sided printing, so you should be good to go once you've located the settings described by Yellowbox.

One note on those settings, though: Don't take them literally, Set up the 'low ink use' test card as described by Yellowbox, set the page orientation to landscape, and the 'binding' setting to match the settings in his example, then Print.

If all turns out fine (and I expect it will, as Yellowbox notes it was tested using his printer), you have the right setting for your printer.

If not, change only the 'binding edge' setting and print again.

You may want to Save the 'correct' settings as a 'vertical 1 fold card' preset.

To do so, Click on the control at the right end of the Presets box to open the list, then select Save current settings as Preset" near the bottom of the list.

Regarding the Birthday Card template:

"on the flip one (shows gift boxes) I can't get the print to come on top page before you flip open."

Page 1 of this template is the outside of the folded card. The 'back' of the card is the 'empty' half (the text box there is intended to be removed before printing) is the back, and the bottom half is the front of the folded card.

The second page of the template is the inside of the card. The bottom half, containing the text box, is the part seen when the card is removed from the envelope and the front page lifted.

Additional text (or graphics) can be placed on the top half of both pages.

To appear in the correct orientation on the closed card, the text box and images on the outside top (card back) must be rotated 180 degrees.

Text or images on the top half of the inside page will appear in the same orientation on the open card as they do on the template.

Regards,

Barry

PS: You mentioned that "2 sided does not work. " Do you mean your printer cannot do two sided printing, or that it does print on both sides of the sheet, but the resulting print is oriented incorrectly? If the latter, the posts to date should solve your issue; if the latter, let us know—there are ways of doing 2 sided printing using printers that do not support that feature.

B.

May 30, 2020 7:41 AM in response to bryanevie

Barry and Yellowbox, you are a genius! All I had to do is change printer box to layout and short edge binding. Who would have thought! All this nonsense about duplex printer, etc. as one of the Apple consultants told me. thanks for all, Now I kept it as a template and can change pics and wording. Now this was for a FLIP CARD, hopefully it will be for a vertical card too???? (Like a regular greeting card in store??? Also what is a good paper card stock that won't jam the printer, an HP Envy Photo. What is best place to buy about 25 with envelopes? Amazon, Staples, Walmart?

May 30, 2020 11:30 AM in response to bryanevie

"Also what is a good paper card stock that won't jam the printer, an HP Envy Photo. What is best place to buy about 25 with envelopes? Amazon, Staples, Walmart? "

If there was a handbook with the printer, or you can locate one online, it may contain recommendations regarding suitable paper stock for duplex printing with your printer. I've done very little two-sided printing on anything heavier than 25 pound bond (letter paper), and most of my printing on heavier stock has been either single sided or two-pass with manual insertion via the rear slot (which uses a much straighter path that the one from a drawer of tray and through the duplexer).

Of the three listed, I suspect Staples (or a local office supply shop) would be most likely able to provide recommendations.

Regards,

Barry

Decent Template in Pages for a Greeting Card!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.