Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To add keywords in Photos filed in external HD

Good morning to all.

With "Preview" I have added some keywords (tags) to the photos filed in an external hard drive.

After I have done, with "Preview", a search in the external HD for the keywords (tags) that I had added but the system didn't find the photos where I added the keywords.

Have I maybe done something wrong ? Is it possible to add keywords in photos filed in an external HD ?

Thanks to all

Franco

Posted on May 17, 2020 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 7:50 AM

The terminology used by the internal image IPTC data is Keywords, not tags. The latter are what the Finder assigns as names representing organizational colors that appear next to the filename in the Finder.

The Finder offers to show you EXIF data from the image, but does not offer IPTC information in any view mode, even in Preview mode.

Spotlight will match images that contain a specific keyword, but before that can happen, the drive needs to be indexed by Spotlight on its Image search results category. Your external drive may not be compatible with Spotlight if it is not FAT32, HFS+, or APFS formatted.

Once indexed, an image whose IPTC keyword was set in Preview to "Birthday pix" can be found with Spotlight as:

kind:image +.jpg keyword:birthday
kind:image +.jpg keyword:"birthday pix"

Even when indexed, the command-line mdls(1) tool will not show the IPTC keyword(s).

If the drive cannot be indexed by Spotlight, then you will need to add the image to Photos where the keyword will appear below the Add a Description section, when you select Get Info on the image. Otherwise, use a free, third-party tool (e.g. ExifTool) to get at the IPTC data.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2020 7:50 AM in response to franco2709

The terminology used by the internal image IPTC data is Keywords, not tags. The latter are what the Finder assigns as names representing organizational colors that appear next to the filename in the Finder.

The Finder offers to show you EXIF data from the image, but does not offer IPTC information in any view mode, even in Preview mode.

Spotlight will match images that contain a specific keyword, but before that can happen, the drive needs to be indexed by Spotlight on its Image search results category. Your external drive may not be compatible with Spotlight if it is not FAT32, HFS+, or APFS formatted.

Once indexed, an image whose IPTC keyword was set in Preview to "Birthday pix" can be found with Spotlight as:

kind:image +.jpg keyword:birthday
kind:image +.jpg keyword:"birthday pix"

Even when indexed, the command-line mdls(1) tool will not show the IPTC keyword(s).

If the drive cannot be indexed by Spotlight, then you will need to add the image to Photos where the keyword will appear below the Add a Description section, when you select Get Info on the image. Otherwise, use a free, third-party tool (e.g. ExifTool) to get at the IPTC data.

To add keywords in Photos filed in external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.