Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac running slow, several apps unresponsive

Hello,

I have an iMac 21.5" 4K, 2017 model running macOS 10.15.4. 3Ghz processor and 8GB of RAM. Ever since I bought it, it has felt slower than my previous iMac (2011 model). I've just dealt with it until now.

At this point, I've had several apps frequently becoming unresposnive. Chrome, Pages, Numbers, to name a few. Safari works fine for web browsing, but I often prefer Chrome and at this point I can't load a single page. It just sits there and I have to force quit. I've restarted my computer several times and when it starts back up it says my computer wasn't shut down properly... even though I simply did a standard restart. I've also re-installed Chrome and it doesn't help. I even tried Firefox on a whim, and somehow it's also unresponsive. I can only use Safari to browse the Internet.

I've run Clean My Mac almost weekly and that doesn't seem to help. It shows my RAM running very low, but I had the same amount of RAM in my last iMac and it ran fine. I also have a MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM and it also works flawlessly. Despite the RAM possibly not being the issue, I ordered additional RAM to install myself... only to discover this model of iMac isn't nearly as user friendly for adding your own RAM. :(

I've considered transferring my important files back to my old computer and wiping my current iMac, basically starting fresh. But I'm hoping someone has suggestions for me before I take that drastic step.

Thank you!

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 17, 2020 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 11:13 AM

You've install what many of us here consider akin to malware: CleanMyMac. Uninstall it according to the developer's instructions (Google for them). You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For example for cleanmymac software you'd do the following 2 search: 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

There is never any reason to run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac. What you need to know about protecting your Mac is described in this user tip: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2020 11:13 AM in response to zfilm111

You've install what many of us here consider akin to malware: CleanMyMac. Uninstall it according to the developer's instructions (Google for them). You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For example for cleanmymac software you'd do the following 2 search: 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

There is never any reason to run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac. What you need to know about protecting your Mac is described in this user tip: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

May 17, 2020 9:00 AM in response to zfilm111

Hello, not many like hearing this but uninstall Clean My Mac per their directions.

Crazy deal on the RAM being so unfriendly, &if it has the sully 5400 RPM drive then a lot of problems could be cured by booting from an external USB3/USB-C SSD or Drive, but 2ndly...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

iMac running slow, several apps unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.