Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install Clean version of Mojave on an external drive

Hello, I am running Mojave on a Mac Pro Mid 2010 with a metal-capable card. I have downloaded the Mojave installer, and am trying to install a clean copy of Mojave on an external drive.

I run the installer program, I select the drive. (it's partitioned to Mac OS extended, GUID, though I've also tried APFS GUID.) It says it's running the installer, and after 4 minutes or so, asks to restart to do the installation. HOWEVER, it restarts to the current boot drive, and the external drive just has a folder entitled "macOS Install Data" No further installation is done, and the program has quit.

The software I'm using isn't re-written to 64 bit, yet, so Catalina is out of the question.

I've tried many variations on this theme without my drive eating to Mojave.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Posted on May 17, 2020 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2020 1:55 AM

Mojave can run from Mac OS Extended but the Mojave updates don't run on it. Mojave installer should convert the disk to APFS but I think it is best to convert to or erase as APFS (GUID) before installing. Mac firmware may need updating for APFS support but the Mojave installer should do it.

Have you tried to re-download a fresh Mojave installer and make a flash installer and boot from that to install?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2020 1:55 AM in response to Captain Marsupial

Mojave can run from Mac OS Extended but the Mojave updates don't run on it. Mojave installer should convert the disk to APFS but I think it is best to convert to or erase as APFS (GUID) before installing. Mac firmware may need updating for APFS support but the Mojave installer should do it.

Have you tried to re-download a fresh Mojave installer and make a flash installer and boot from that to install?

Unable to install Clean version of Mojave on an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.