Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail sending mail from wrong account

One of my biggest bugbears with Apple Mail is that it can send messages from the wrong account (SMTP server) if the first one is unavailable. I can’t avoid this, I can’t prevent it, and it can be very embarrassing or annoying. I run various websites and I like to keep all inboxes totally separate.

So if I get an email to me@domain1.com asking for support, I do NOT want the customer getting an email back from me@domain2.com! But this can happen (albeit rarely, but once is too often)

This can happen due to Apple Mail automatically selecting any other account's SMTP server (seemingly at random!) when the first SMTP server fails which they sometimes do for whatever reason. I need to make SURE this can’t happen.

I have tried doing the usual - selecting the SMTP server for each account, I select the correct one of course and always have. But sometimes for whatever reason that SMTP server may fail, and Mail has a very nasty habit of just picking another one and sending it from there!

I must stop this happening, so I am now faced with paying for Postbox or using Thunderbird to prevent this, neither option I am very happy with but I must stop this happening. Does anyone know how to LOCK Mail down so that, in the rare event that an accout's SMTP server connection fails, the email will just not send rather than just find any other route through my various accounts and embarass me?!

Thanks

Posted on May 18, 2020 2:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 3:42 AM

Yep, that's what I think it does. I am pretty sure I used to have "best" checked, but changed it due to this very problem, perhaps a year or two ago. But recently it did it again. I can't seem to find any official explanation of these settings, but my own personal view based on my experience (over quite a few years) is that all settings are completely ignored if SMTP server fails, and Mail just automatically overrules and decides to find another server to get the mail sent asap. Nice, some would say. Not nice, I would say. :)

thanks again, if anyone happens on this thread and knows the real answer, or how to prevent Mail using any SMTP servers except the chosen one (or the one matching the incoming account and no others), please drop a note here!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 3:42 AM in response to BDAqua

Yep, that's what I think it does. I am pretty sure I used to have "best" checked, but changed it due to this very problem, perhaps a year or two ago. But recently it did it again. I can't seem to find any official explanation of these settings, but my own personal view based on my experience (over quite a few years) is that all settings are completely ignored if SMTP server fails, and Mail just automatically overrules and decides to find another server to get the mail sent asap. Nice, some would say. Not nice, I would say. :)

thanks again, if anyone happens on this thread and knows the real answer, or how to prevent Mail using any SMTP servers except the chosen one (or the one matching the incoming account and no others), please drop a note here!

May 18, 2020 12:43 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for replying.

That shows my icloud account but it's not relevant here as that box only relates to sending new emails, so it chooses the default account for any newly composed email. I am talking about replying.

So if you email me from BDA@icloud.com, you address the email to joey@carsales.com. I receive it in my aggregated inbox for all incoming mail. If I click reply, it will TRY to send from the SMTP server details which are on the joey@carsales.com emaill account in my account settings. BUT - if that server fails to respond in time or for whatever reason it doesn,t go through, the email pops up again out of my outbox and I click send again. But I recently noticed it had (and does) CHANGE the outgoing server. Basically I think Apple Mail is 'trying to be helpful' but offering an alternative server, but I want to turn this off so it can not happen. Imagine you get a reply to your email about a car, from some guy called joey@pinkdreadlocks.com or even joey.smith@police.uk (!!), it could be rather embarassing for me, and it is!!

I dont think I can see any way to make Mail do it, so I am forced to either pay for a client which does, or do something which seems a bit crazy, like have one user account on my entire machine for each website (5?!) and log out and in constantly all day to check emails from each, which kinda destroys the idea of an aggregated inbox :D

May 18, 2020 1:13 PM in response to BDAqua

I have the option for "automatically choose best account" (who defines best?!) and a list of about 10 options for all my accounts.

But not sure if you got my point.... this option is described as choosing which account to send "New Email" from. I am not having a problemm with new emails, I can choose whenever i compose a new email, or i can let it use mjy icloud, which is fine.

The problem is not when sending new email, its when replying to one which came in.

Apple Mail sending mail from wrong account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.