Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a Macbook Pro be used as a second display for iMac?

Hi, I've got a 2013 13 inch Macbook Pro that I would like to use as a second display for my 27 inch 2013 iMac. I've seen lots of articles about using the iMac in target display mode, but is it possible to set it up as the other way around?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 18, 2020 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2020 10:06 AM

thriller83 wrote:

Thanks, but this seems to suggest I can only use the iMac display as a secondary to the MBP. Do you know if it will work the other way ie. iMac using MBP as a display?

No, the MacBook Pro has no display inputs, and MacOS NEWER than High Sierra on your iMac will not allow the iMac to work as a Target Display.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2020 10:06 AM in response to thriller83

thriller83 wrote:

Thanks, but this seems to suggest I can only use the iMac display as a secondary to the MBP. Do you know if it will work the other way ie. iMac using MBP as a display?

No, the MacBook Pro has no display inputs, and MacOS NEWER than High Sierra on your iMac will not allow the iMac to work as a Target Display.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Can a Macbook Pro be used as a second display for iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.