Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change recovery key on ipad ios 5.1.1

I'm trying to login into my iCloud account on my Apple iPad 1st generation with ios 5.1.1. It asks for a recovery key which I must have set up at some time, but I do not remember it. How can I change my recovery key to login?

Posted on May 18, 2020 11:42 AM

6 replies

May 18, 2020 2:15 PM in response to sberman

Sberman, thanks for your reply. There isn’t a place to change your recovery key following these instructions that you pointed to.

“If you ever need a new Recovery Key, you can create one from your Apple ID account page. Just sign in with your password and trusted device, go to the Security section and click Edit, then click Replace Lost Key.”

You can see what I mean by looking at the picture which is a shot of the security area after clicking “edit”.

May 18, 2020 2:22 PM in response to kory63

Thanks for your detailed response above. It makes this reply much easier.

Your first generation iPad is now quite old, as I’m sure you recognize. It uses technology that has been superseded. The Recovery Key is one example.

As noted in my previous response, the Recovery Key was associated with Two-Step Verification. However, the screenshot you subsequently sent indicates you have moved along to the newer, better Two-Factor Authentication method. That’s good!

So try this instead:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

How to change recovery key on ipad ios 5.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.