Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Less space on drive after deleting files

iMac backup shows 216GB available. Current ssd drive shows only 170GB available in spite of having deleted nearly 60GB since the backup! Folders (vis and invis) on my active drive smaller but the drive shows less available space. Why? I deleted cache and log files along with a huge Warcraft folder but the available space didn't go down and my current drive shows nearly 50GB of less space than my backup which has much larger folder sizes showing. I can only account for about 180GB of data by adding up all my folder sizes. I know APFS does odd stuff but why my backup would show more free space in spite of holding nearly 60 or more GB of files I've just deleted seems very very odd. Thoughts?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 18, 2020 12:21 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 18, 2020 1:39 PM in response to digibudII

I give up on APFS file sizing. I booted from the external drive and things were not changed at first but after a few minutes my internal boot ssd showed 304GB of free space much like I would have expected after deleting the large files. I reset my boot drive to my internal and booted and once again it shows 174GB free space than I had just yesterday in spite of deleting the many GB I did. I have no clue how much actual drive space I have but am no longer going to worry about it.

Less space on drive after deleting files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.