Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to prevent Safari from opening apps?

Since the latest update, Safari is automatically opening the apps for websites that I have an app installed for. This is very annoying as many apps have different functionalities from the website. How do I stop this from happening, other than by removing all apps?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 18, 2020 9:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 11:28 AM

Thank you for the additional information that definitely helps.

An idea I have for you is to go to Settings> Safari> Request Desktop Website

Once you go in there switch it to on and see if that resolves your issue.

9 replies

May 19, 2020 11:09 AM in response to AllyP7

To elaborate as suggested: the issue I have is with the ipad Air 2 OS 13 listed above and it started after the latest update. Whenever I select a tab in Safari with a website I already have an app installed for, such as Facebook, H&M, Albert Heijn, it will open the app immediately. I don’t know what to do to prevent this, other than to deinstall all the apps, which wouldn’t be my preferred course of action.

May 19, 2020 12:59 PM in response to imke2u

I'm sorry that did not seem to help. I have one more follow up question, is this only happening when you are tapping on a link from within another app? Or is this happening when you just are in Safari and try to go to one of those websites?

If it is a link you are clicking on then if you force touch or push and hold on the screen you should be able to select open in safari instead of the app.

May 19, 2020 2:06 PM in response to sterling r

No, I’m not tapping on a link. It even happens when I come across a tab of one of those sites just because I closed another tab and it happened to be next to it. I usually have a few tabs open with my favourite websites, so it happens even when I’m just “passing through “. That’s just it: there’s no preventable action on my part for these apps to automatically open...

May 19, 2020 10:59 AM in response to imke2u

Hi imke2u,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It looks like no one has responded to your question. Here are a couple things that might help others answer your question.

What device is it that you are having this issue with?

What software version are you running on that device?

Is the issue only happening with websites that you have a specific app downloaded for?

A specific example may help as well.

Have a great day!

How to prevent Safari from opening apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.