Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Paragon NTFS

What is NTFS good for? I installed it a number of years ago (can't remember why) but have not consciously used it recently. However, I notice there is a process "Paragon NTFS for Mac 15" running.

I am using a non-Apple drive as second backup drive for Time Machine. Would NTFS have something to do with this? What would happen if I removed the Application? Etrecheck flags it as problematic.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 19, 2020 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 1:21 PM

NTFS is a format used by Windows computers. If you are using an external drive formatted for Windows you would need a third party app that enables your Mac to write to the NTFS formatted drive. Paragon NTFS is one such app. If you are not using a NTFS formatted drive you do not need Paragon NTFS.

6 replies

May 19, 2020 1:24 PM in response to Mikelis Bickis

The only thing it's good for on a Mac is so you can share the drive with Windows, with both having read/write access. But you can do the same thing without Paragon NTFS by formatting the drive from Windows as ExFAT. Both computers will still have read/write access, and neither will need any type of third party software to do it.

It's also possible you installed it so you could write to a Windows partition you created with Boot Camp.

If you're not sharing anything with Windows, then you don't need it at all.

Paragon NTFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.