Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sierra Macbook Pro keeps crashing, please HELP

Hi everyone,

I tried to find a solution online to constant crashing of my macbook pro, but couldn't. I attached my crash log in case anyone would be kind to help. Thanks!!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 19, 2020 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 5:40 PM

The problem, which you did not seem to internalize earlier, is that hardware problems with the Discrete graphics chip (only) are the cause of your kernel panics. If you continue to use that:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

... it will continue to crash.

You can keeping using that computer, if and only if you apply some of the work-arounds that keep the Discrete graphics processor NOT operating. and one of the things you will have to give up is using external displays, because there is no path to any external display from the Intel graphics processor.

All those workarounds work to disable the problematic Discrete NVIDIA graphics and leave the Intel graphics running everything that can be still run, just a little slower.

If this does not work for you, it's time to shop for computer that better meets your needs.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 5:40 PM in response to Drinkf00t

The problem, which you did not seem to internalize earlier, is that hardware problems with the Discrete graphics chip (only) are the cause of your kernel panics. If you continue to use that:

... it will continue to crash.

You can keeping using that computer, if and only if you apply some of the work-arounds that keep the Discrete graphics processor NOT operating. and one of the things you will have to give up is using external displays, because there is no path to any external display from the Intel graphics processor.

All those workarounds work to disable the problematic Discrete NVIDIA graphics and leave the Intel graphics running everything that can be still run, just a little slower.

If this does not work for you, it's time to shop for computer that better meets your needs.

May 19, 2020 6:11 PM in response to Drinkf00t

One user here used to refer to the MacBook Pro 6,2 15-in 2010 model as "The Edsel of MacBooks". Its problems with its discrete graphics chip are legendary.

But that computer also contains a perfectly good integrated graphics chip that can be used by itself, except for external displays.

There have been many work-arounds proffered over the years, some are very simple but may not be especially effective in all cases, others vary in complexity and effectiveness depending on the exact failure mode.

Where would you like to go, and how much effort are you willing to put into it? does it otherwise meet your needs? Does it stay running without crashing for at least a few minutes?

May 20, 2020 3:08 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant,

thanks very much for your reply. The computer would crash occasionally in the past few weeks but since a couple days ago it would crash every 15 minutes or so. It happened again this morning. I am willing to do whatever I need to fix this as this is my only computer and I need it for work. I tried safe mode yesterday and it worked well without crashing although at some point, maybe after an hour it started to work really slow and I rebooted it in normal mode. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Vladimir

May 20, 2020 7:23 AM in response to Drinkf00t

below is my collected archives of fixes for the MacBook Pro 15 and 17 in models from 2010 thru 2012. Using them may change the features available, so you should never use these unless you already have problems, and need a work-around. read all before you apply any.

Graphics card status is the simplest to add, but it does not solve the problem for everyone.

Install gfxCardStatus (https://gfx.io) and set it to "i" (integrated graphics only). It will allow your MBP to run on integrated graphics only, bypassing the discrete GPU which has the issues. This may allow your MBP to run normally, although it will have reduced graphics performance when permforming demanding graphics tasks. The alternative is replacing the logic board, which is not cost effective on a machine that old, unless gfx does not resolve the issue and you really want to keep this MBP.

There is an acknowledged bug in the current version of Cody Kreiger's Open-Source gfxcardstatus, and the developer has confessed he does not have time to fix it right now.

There is a fork off the main build by steveschow available that seems to fix that problem for current versions of MacOS such as ElCapitan and Sierra. He provides a finished .app for direct download -- you do not have to compile anything.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases

Also note that if your Mac does not run long enough to allow gfxcardstatus to be added, this is not really practical.

In addition, Steve Schow writes that he has abandoned further development -- because there are better solutions available [for both the 2010 model and 2011 models].

2010 model:

I have discontinued use of gfxCardStatus to solve the MBP kernel panic problem as the issue is better solved on 2010 models with the nVidia GPU by the following hack:

https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix.

2011 model:

the use of ArchLinux bootable CD to gain access to and re-write the EFI on the drive, and permanently disable the discrete graphics chip. This page and scroll down past the list to the blog:

http://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus

There are two similar procedure listed. I used the second from MacRumors as it seemed easier. I have made the Arch Linux bootable CD on another Mac, and tried this approach. I now have a perfectly-functioning MacBook Pro late 2011 15-in model with Discrete Graphics disabled. Runs just fine. But NO external display support any more.

--------

There is a completely different hack developed more recently. It requires only single-User mode to get started, then type a complicated string into NVRAM, then disable System Integrity Protection and run an additional little program (direct-download link provided there) to make the change semi-permanent.

http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/

.or a similar procedure with a bit more manual work:

Power up and boot into Single User Recovery by holding

if you are on high sierra 10.13.6+ you might need to use Command + r instead

Command + r + s

Disable SIP (This takes a bit to complete so wait for it)

csrutil disable

Disable Discrete GPU on boot by running

nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

Enable verbose boot mode (This will show text everytime you boot up, shutdown or restart your mac)

nvram boot-args="-v"

Reboot

reboot

Boot into Single User-mode by holding

Command + s + r

It might look as if it hanged, but press enter and you should see the shell (root#)

Mount root partition writeable

/sbin/mount -uw /

Make a kext-backup directory

mkdir -p /System/Library/Extensions-off

Move ONLY ONE offending kext out of the way

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /System/Library/Extensions-off/

Inform the system to update its kextcache:

touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Reboot

reboot

It will show a bunch of text in the screen (don't be alarmed, let it finish) and then it will restart again In second restart it will show text in the screen again and then it will show normal login screen Your computer now should work properly (dGPU off and iGPU on.

May 20, 2020 11:44 AM in response to Drinkf00t

That complete list is rather overwhelming. But for your purposes, there are two easy ones that jump out:

gfx card status, and this one:

2010 model:

I have discontinued use of gfxCardStatus to solve the MBP kernel panic problem as the issue is better solved on 2010 models with the nVidia GPU by the following hack:

https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix.

May 24, 2020 3:57 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant,

just a short update - I have installed gfx card status and I think I finally understood what is it for. :)

So, basically its only purpose is to notify me about the apps dependencies on my graphic cards and whether I want to use the integrated one or discrete only or dynamic switching, right? In that case, could you recommend if either of those is preferable?

Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

I don't use my macbook for high graphics content such as games. I also read somewhere that in case I use external monitor (which I do, all the time) the dynamic switching should be the option?

My lap top has worked so far most of the time these few days and it would crash and restart maybe twice when I guess it was overloaded - I've only worked in music recording software.

Thanks so much for your help,

Vlad

May 24, 2020 6:12 PM in response to Drinkf00t

Ok, now that you have the BIG picture, we can talk more about one more extremely fine points.

Hobbyists have suggested that for that 2010 computer only, the crashing MAY be caused by too-quick transitioning TO the discrete graphics processor (handing off from the Intel Integrated processor) when the Discrete graphics processor is not powered up enough to get right to work.

There is one more work-around, different from the rest Hobbyists have proposed, debated, tested and someone has built a Utility. This one changes the 'resting' state of the discrete graphics processor, keeping it from falling into a deep sleep state, so that it is more likely to be ready to get up and GO. It works for most but occasionally it does not. Your computer will use slightly more power, because the Discrete graphics processor must be kept 'half-awake' even when not in use.

This is available as a pre-made Utility:

https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix

Sierra Macbook Pro keeps crashing, please HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.