Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie memory leak

macos High Sierra 10.13.6 (can't upgrade due to company security vetting, we are always months behind)

macbook pro 2017 16gb

imovie v 10.1.12

So when I import a clip into imovie (say a 16sec clip from taken on my iphone, but i have also tried clips from other devices or that i got from other people) and the memory usage goes up and up and up until it is at around 70Gb or more (of course most of that is virtual memory) and then crashes due to something like "ran out of application memory". So pretty clearly a memory leak or similar. I've written memory leaks myself so I should know lol.

Anybody else get something like this? I tried restarting. Now I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling imovie and when that is done I'll update with results.

Okay well I'm having a time uninstalling because I don't have admin access on the computer...

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 19, 2020 10:07 PM

6 replies

Jul 6, 2020 8:27 AM in response to safaorhan

You might try the following procedures and see if they cure the issue.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management

Controller:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM, although this issue would be fairly rare:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

-- Rich

Jul 6, 2020 7:01 AM in response to whheaton

The same happens to me as well. When I plug my external HDD when iMovie is open, it tries to import the files inside. Even tough I cancel the import dialog promptly, some kind of memory leak happens and allocated RAM (virtual) for iMovie goes up to 150GB.

The solution I found is stopping iMovie, ejecting the external drive, and restarting iMovie.

Hope it helps,

Safa

May 20, 2020 10:27 AM in response to whheaton

As you have discovered, when you add more and more files to your iMovie library you can eventually exceed the available space on your drive. Try moving your iMovie library to an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). That will give you more storage space on your library. If you try that, first open iMovie and select the library name in the side bar. Then do a File/Consolidate Library Media. That will gather all of the files used in your projects into the iMovie library. Then you can move the library to the external drive. You can leave the iMovie app itself where it is on your internal drive, as it does not take up much space. The media is located in the library, not the app.

If you need to reformat the external drive, be aware that reformatting will delete all files on the drive, so first back up any data that you want to keep.

-- Rich

May 20, 2020 4:59 PM in response to whheaton

So the morning after posting this, the problem has mysteriously gone away. The only thing I can think that changed was that I left my computer unplugged overnight and it ran out of battery power. Cold boots can have different effects than restarts or warm (powered) reboots due to the fact that power remaining on to the ram can carry over state. I don't know if that is what happened and there is no way of knowing. I just wanted to report that this issue is resolved and my only guess on what resolved it.

imovie memory leak

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.