Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil and newest iPad - can't pair bc incompatible ports?

How do i pair my Apple Pencil with the latest ipad? My IPAD has a USBC port and my Pencil has a lightning connector. I read that the old Apple Pencil should be compatible with my iPad but I can't get them to pair. Help!

iPad (6th gen) WiFi, Cellular

Posted on May 20, 2020 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 6:07 AM

Your first generation Apple Pencil (with Lightning connector) is not compatible with your new iPad Pro (with a USB-C connector). For the third and forth generation iPad Pro, you’ll instead require a second generation Apple Pencil:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211029

The two versions of Apple Pencil differ in their pairing and charging interface. The Pencil compatible with your new iPad uses a magnetic/inductive interface to both pair with, and charge from, the iPad.

I hope this information and clarification is helpful in resolving your difficulty.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 6:07 AM in response to rebecka226

Your first generation Apple Pencil (with Lightning connector) is not compatible with your new iPad Pro (with a USB-C connector). For the third and forth generation iPad Pro, you’ll instead require a second generation Apple Pencil:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211029

The two versions of Apple Pencil differ in their pairing and charging interface. The Pencil compatible with your new iPad uses a magnetic/inductive interface to both pair with, and charge from, the iPad.

I hope this information and clarification is helpful in resolving your difficulty.

May 20, 2020 6:29 AM in response to rebecka226

What model iPad is it exactly? There's 5 different "newest" iPads being sold by Apple currently.

Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

Of those only the 12.9" and the 11" iPad Pros would not be compatible with an Apple pencil with lightning connector and are the only ones that have a USB-C port.

The current 7th generation iPad, the iPad Air 3 and the iPad Mini 5 are compatible with the First Gen Apple Pencil with lightning connector.

If you have an iPad Pro then you need a Second generation Apple Pencil.

See here: Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

First Generation Apple Pencil:

Second Generation Apple Pencil:

Apple Pencil and newest iPad - can't pair bc incompatible ports?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.