Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you tell if the SMC has _already_ been reset recently?

Regarding the procedures laid out in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 . . .

How can you tell if the SMC has (or has not) already been reset recently (or ever), possibly by another hypothetical user who is not available for questioning?

Is there a log entry somewhere?

Some kind of flag set that can be read by a utility?

A Terminal command?

I am not directly interested in finding out what resetting the SMC is said to be good for. I've already read the document.

The collective wisdom of the googleverse seems to say No, there is no way to tell, unless you yourself have just done it, but it is not an authoritative source.

Posted on May 20, 2020 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 1:51 AM

sberman wrote:
Why would you care?

Because I am curious, and because on that same document, there is this:

Notebook computers with the T2 chip

Before resetting the SMC, try these steps:

1. Shut down your Mac.
    2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
    3. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

If the issue persists, follow these steps to reset the SMC:

[followed by the somewhat lengthy procedure.]

What does that do, exactly? Why does it not have a name (or nickname), in the sense that "reset the SMC" is the name of a thing that you can do? Such a name would be handy for making a reference to it in troubleshooting notes, instead of typing out a whole paragraph.

And...

Elsewhere, there is a debate about whether or not that three-step procedure also resets the SMC.

I would assert that it does not (by virtue of the wording), but there doesn't seem to be any way to find out for sure.

If the action of "resetting the SMC" left some kind of "fingerprint", you would be able to tell if the simple un-named procedure also could reset the SMC.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 1:51 AM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:
Why would you care?

Because I am curious, and because on that same document, there is this:

Notebook computers with the T2 chip

Before resetting the SMC, try these steps:

1. Shut down your Mac.
    2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
    3. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

If the issue persists, follow these steps to reset the SMC:

[followed by the somewhat lengthy procedure.]

What does that do, exactly? Why does it not have a name (or nickname), in the sense that "reset the SMC" is the name of a thing that you can do? Such a name would be handy for making a reference to it in troubleshooting notes, instead of typing out a whole paragraph.

And...

Elsewhere, there is a debate about whether or not that three-step procedure also resets the SMC.

I would assert that it does not (by virtue of the wording), but there doesn't seem to be any way to find out for sure.

If the action of "resetting the SMC" left some kind of "fingerprint", you would be able to tell if the simple un-named procedure also could reset the SMC.

May 22, 2020 11:12 PM in response to sberman

I did try Console a few days ago, and it's all pretty cryptic. No help there.

Then it occurred to me tonight that if I had never done a reset, I probably would not find anything about it. So, I just did one.

I got hits in Console this time, searching for MESSAGE contains "SMC" which got these:

By subtracting the "Time since boot: 53 minutes" from the time of day (02:45) in the menubar, I place the SMC Reset and startup at 01:52, and nothing in the above is earlier than 02:02:14.

"Setting PMU offset" sounds interesting, but it looks like it may just be a business as usual sort of event. Perhaps I did not use the right filters last time.

Anybody have an idea of what to search for?

How can you tell if the SMC has _already_ been reset recently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.