Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb-c displayport monitor

good morning, I am trying to connect a new MacBook Air 2020 to an external monitor with no HDMI input, but only Displayport or VGA input. I purchased a usb-c to HDMI adapter (plugged to the Mac) and used a HDMI-Displayport cable to connect to the external screen, but it does not work. The external display is not recognised. Any idea how to fix this problem? Thanks.

PLF

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 20, 2020 11:48 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 21, 2020 1:23 AM in response to PierLuigiFranceschini

PierLuigiFranceschini Said:

Thanks for your reply. I actually need this for video only, to have an external, larger monitor while working.

———-

Thank you for the update — see this reply: MacBook Pro 16” Dongle Support

I think it may be just way you need: USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter 4K@60Hz - Silver. It equals out the amperage/voltage, giving you successful output.

May 21, 2020 12:17 AM in response to PierLuigiFranceschini

usb-c displayport monitor: [...]I am trying to connect a new MacBook Air 2020 to an external monitor with no HDMI input, but only Displayport or VGA input. I purchased a usb-c to HDMI adapter [...]The external display is not recognised. Any idea how to fix this problem?

———-

The Resolution is Not Good Enough:

Get an HDMI Device (i.e. TV or Projector). HDMI is for Audio & Video, and is High Definition. VGA is Video-Only.

So, its time for a new monitor. Or just get a mini projector, and project it off the wall (like I do).

May 21, 2020 12:51 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your reply. I actually need this for video only, to have an external, larger monitor while working. The display is in good conditions and I do not want to buy a new one. It has a Displayport, which should be good for video, but it does not work. I want to avoid using VGA, which is too old and as I understand it decreases resolution.

May 21, 2020 10:23 AM in response to PierLuigiFranceschini

"so I finally solved this simply by buying a relatively cheap usb-c/diplayport cable: this worked immediately"

-------

Providing Some Info.

What is the brand and model of this asadpter? If you could provide that, that would be great. Also, take.picture of it, and add it to your reply. That would help many. THX!

usb-c displayport monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.